Rhode Island

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone had experience with Goddard Memorial Park for a wedding. I saw it online and was thinking it would be a nice place to have a casual park wedding. Thanks!

Re: Hi there!

• edited December 2011
    My fiance' and I take our dog there a lot and it does get crowded during the warmer months and the people that go there are not always the most considerate with loud music and unleashed dogs. They also do not allow alcohol, which I personally can't imagine a wedding without. 

If you are looking for an outdoor/tented location I would try Fort Adams in Newport.
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are not having alcohol at your wedding and you are okay with sharing your wedding space with the public than I don't see any problem.  I attended a lovely park ceremony at Colt State Park at their wedding chapel area designated for outdoor events. It was really beautiful and semi-private. I like Kinney Bungalow, Fort Adams and my venue on the beach, Easton Beach Rotunda for their casual but elegant feel. Bristol Harbor Inn is also lovely too.
  • KBinRIKBinRI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can rent the former carousel building inexpensively. My husband's aunt and uncle had their reception there. Here's something I wrote about it for a magazine in 2009:

Goddard Park Carousel 1095 Ives Road, Potowomut

Children once gathered at the site to take a spin on the merry-go-round, but the former carousel building at Goddard Memorial State Park is now the site of concerts, public events and private parties – including weddings.

The single-story octagonal structure with a domed roof and cupola was constructed to house a carousel that was moved there from Rocky Point Park in 1931. When the carousel was dismantled in the 1970s, the building was restored into a performing arts center. Since then, many couples have hosted receptions there, and the 489.2-acre park located along two miles of Greenwich Cove offers couples ample choices for ceremony space at no charge.

On nice days, the carousel’s accordion-style doors, which recently were replaced, can be opened wide to let in the breezes from the water, as the beachfront is a stone’s throw away. A wooden walkway above the road that leads to the beach is a popular ceremony site as well as a photo spot for couples and wedding parties.

The carousel is available to rent between April 1 and Nov. 30, as the space is not heated. The rental fee for the carousel is $200 for the day – which means sunrise to 11 p.m., even though the park closes to others at sunset. Couples also can rent banquet tables for $6 each; chairs are included.

To reserve the site, call 401-884-2010. Learn more about the park online at http://www.riparks.com/goddard.htm.

We also were at Colt State Park last year when a couple was having a tented reception there, right alongside the water!
    Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kibo8kibo8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards