March 2012 Weddings
Options

I got very exciting news today but I'm bummed about it

Background: I'm a special education chemistry teacher.  I am the only one in my district and one of the few in the state.  Over the last 2 years I have been working with a national program called GK12 through my old college.  This program brings engineering and science to the classrooms of students what normally would not have the opportunity to study these things in college. I have been working with an amazing student teacher during this time.

So I got a call today from the president of the program telling me I have been voted teacher of the year! I'm in shock and it's a great honor.  I would get  an all expenses paid trip to DC and would get to meet President Obama.  Why am I bummed you ask- well it's the weekend on the wedding! I can't go. I told them that and they said my presence was required and I may have to give up the title! No fair.  I'm waiting for them to call me back with the final verdict.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: I got very exciting news today but I'm bummed about it

• Options
    Oh my goodness how exciting but so disheartening at the same time. Maybe they could be a little more lineant because of your special circumstance. Hopefully it wills all work out and congratulations!
  • Options
    Congratulations!! That stinks about the date though.  I hope that you still get the title, they shouldn't make you give that up just because of a date conflict!
  • Options
    Holy cow! What an honor! Congrats!! I'm so sorry it lands on your wedding date, and I think it is kind of bogus that they didn't give you much time in advance! I think it's also unfair that they are willing to give your title to someone else due to a scheduling conflict :( You still are the teacher of the year!

I'd also feel a little stupid if I was the the getting the honor in your place solely because you couldn't be there! I'll send knottie vibes your way for a good outcome!
  • Options
    Congratulations! You are teacher of the year even if they try to give it to someone else! :) I hope it all works out!
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • Options
    Oh wow, congratulations!! That's a huge accomplishment! Bummer if they can't move the date for you but I hope they will!
  • Options
    Wow!! First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! What an incredible honor. 

Second, I just don't see how they could call you up TWO WEEKS prior to this event and then be shocked that you can't drop everything to be there. That stinks. I hope they can make an exception, because you earned it either way. :-)
  • Options
    Congrats!  That is awuful!  I hope it works out in your favor.  Let us know!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Congratulations! But that is a total bummer! I hate when things like that happen and there is nothing you can do about it. However it does seem kind of unfair to take away the honor!
  • Options
    Oh my gosh! That is so awesome! HUGE CONGRATS!!
    And of course the timing would fall like that. But even if they come back and say you have to be present.. You won! You were the teacher of the year. The other person would just be the default. :)
    You go girl! :D
    Baby Boy will be making his way into our life EDD April 5, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    That's HUGE! What an amazing achievement! I do hope you can keep the title even though you can't attend the event. :)
    "Love it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, It will set you free..."
    ~Mumford and Sons
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Aww babe! Congrats!!!!!!!!! sorry u cant make it! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've known about the conference and event since November.  I was asked to attend and present then but I declined do to the wedding.  I guess that one slipped their mind.  I'm 1 of 50 being honored, 1 from each state. I find it hard to believe I'm not the only one who can't be there. Ah well we shall wait and see.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    awwww congrats!!! what an honor!!! hopefully they will still give them your name. its not like your blowing them off for nothing. im sure the president would understand :)
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards