New York-Hudson Valley
Options

I'm married! And reviews...

What a whirlwind weekend! What everyone says about it going too fast is absolutely true!

I'll give you guys my reviews, as briefly as I can!

Venue- (Rolling Greens-A+) (times a thousand, but I don't want to overdo it). They were amazing right from the start when the other place cancelled on us. John David was great to work with; friendly, helpful and all around made our experience fantastic. The food was to die for! We scheduled enough time between the ceremony and cocktail hour for pictures, so we were able to get out there for the cocktail hour, not that I got to eat very much! The room was great, the staff was professional and everyone raved about the little details.

Church- (Our Lady of Mount Carmel- A+) Because of our last minute venue change we booked a Catholic church with less than three months to go before the date. Generally this isn't done, but these guys worked with us. We paid the price, so to speak, but it was worth it. I didn't have to decorate at all. The church itself is gorgeous and they had it decorated with candles and flowers for Easter. FYI- a rice toss isn't as nice as it sounds. I had rice in my bra all night and every time I shook my head some flew out. And it hurts when people pelt you with it.

Transportation- (T&P Limo. A) I wasn't very happy with the first quote I got for a limo (over $1500, but not from this company) so I did a ton of internet research. These guys blew the other quotes out of the water  price wise and were very professional. The driver was excellent. They ended up being a little late, but that was due to an accident on 44/55, which obviously was out of their control. I budgeted enough time, so we still ended up starting the ceremony on time as planned.

DJ- (DJ Danielle A+) Danielle was recommended by a friend and was probably one of my best steals for the whole wedding. She kept everyone up and dancing and we had a great time. I guess its a little out of the ordinary to have a female DJ, but I don't think I would do it any other way. She was really flexible and personable. If I had to recommend just one of my vendors, it would be Danielle.

Florist- (Price Chopper B-) I worked with Donna out of the Newburgh Price Chopper because of management difficulties in the Poughkeepsie store prior to my wedding. She was excellent in listening to what I wanted and in keeping with my budget. I was floored by the centerpieces, but some of the flowers in the bouquet were a little brown around the edges when we got them. I was also a little disappointed by the size of my bouquet. I thought it would have been larger than it was, but it was only slightly bigger than the bridesmaids. I know they had a lot of the flowers for our wedding in on the Monday prior to our Sunday wedding.I would still recommend working with them, but make sure they don't order your flowers too soon. I think that the brown-ness would not have happened if they hadn't ordered the flowers a week early.

Dresses- (David's Bridal B) I ended up being a two dress bride. The first dress I got was the big ballgown-y type and by the Thursday before the wedding I knew I'd be miserable in 85 degree heat on Sunday. I went in that Thursday and walked out same day with a flirty halter number. I worked with a couple different consultants and for the most part they were ok. I know my second dress purchase was last minute, but I didn't even get a good garment bag, just one of the cheap (clear!!!) plastic ones. Thankfully my mom had a bag from Macy's that she put over the dress, because she ran into my FI in the elevator when she was bringing it into the hotel.

I also got bridesmaid dresses from David's Bridal. Everything went smooth.

Photog- (Allan Levine- deferred for now) Allan was the guy I liked because I couldn't afford the guy I wanted, love and adore with all my being! lol
He did our e-pics and I wasn't very happy with them, but what I've seen of the actual wedding pics so far looks good. We were dying to get out of the heat, but thinking back it didn't seem like he did all that many pictures. I'm hoping to get proofs soon and once I do, we'll make the final judgement.

Honeymoon- (Carnival Cruises A+) We did an 8 day cruise to Grand Turk and the Bahamas. It was excellent. The weather was great and the service on the boat is always excellent. We ended up sitting with a couple from PA who were married the day before us. It was a little awkward at first, but now we have plans to tailgate at PSU football games in the fall! I'm trying to talk him into a Mediterranean cruise this time next year.

This is all I can come up with for now.

HTH!

Re: I'm married! And reviews...

• Options
    edited December 2011
     I'm so glad you had a great experience. I'm getting married at Rolling Greens on May 27,2012. I do have one question. You said you had plenty of time between the ceremony and cocktail hour. What was your time line? We are getting married at Our Lady of the Rosary at 1:30 but my mom would like me to push it back to 2. I just wasn't sure if that would give us enough time to talke pictures out on the golf course and be at our cocktail hour at 5.
  • Options
    jamiefourjamiefour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I am so glad everything worked out for you after all the changes.  I hope I have the same luck.  Can't wait to see pics!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_im-married-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:d6b9837a-058d-4da5-8277-cef9c65547d7Post:9ca696df-6cec-4535-b08e-1aa4b3f99217">Re: I'm married! And reviews...</a>:
    [QUOTE] I'm so glad you had a great experience. I'm getting married at Rolling Greens on May 27,2012. I do have one question. You said you had plenty of time between the ceremony and cocktail hour. What was your time line? We are getting married at Our Lady of the Rosary at 1:30 but my mom would like me to push it back to 2. I just wasn't sure if that would give us enough time to talke pictures out on the golf course and be at our cocktail hour at 5.
    Posted by jen14164[/QUOTE]

Our ceremony was at 3pm, just a regular ceremony, not the full mass. We did a receiving line and some pictures at the church. I think we were out of there by 4:45. We did the rest of our pics at Rolling Greens on the course itself. Our cocktail hour started at 6pm. Jean and I got done right around 6 and were out with the guests by :615 after a short sit in the back and a break to bustle my gown.

I think your timeline either way will be fine.
  • Options
    MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_im-married-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:d6b9837a-058d-4da5-8277-cef9c65547d7Post:46071651-b876-4147-9ef7-176ecd454d64">I'm married! And reviews...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Church- (Our Lady of Mount Carmel- A+) Because of our last minute venue change we booked a Catholic church with less than three months to go before the date. Generally this isn't done, but these guys worked with us. We paid the price, so to speak, but it was worth it. I didn't have to decorate at all. The church itself is gorgeous and they had it decorated with candles and flowers for Easter. FYI- a rice toss isn't as nice as it sounds. I had rice in my bra all night and every time I shook my head some flew out. And it hurts when people pelt you with it. 
    Posted by threepinkroses[/QUOTE]

<div>In the Bronx, on Arthur Avenue?</div><div>That was our church, during the Feast! It is an amazing church!!!!!!!!!!!</div>

• Options
    edited December 2011
    congrats!!!!! so glad it was a great day!

happy to see your great reviews on rolling greens, my brother is getting married there 8/10/12.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I'm so glad to hear everything went well!  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_im-married-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:d6b9837a-058d-4da5-8277-cef9c65547d7Post:3564a7b6-9027-4ea5-b184-4ae2cbbde7cf">Re: I'm married! And reviews...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to I'm married! And reviews... : In the Bronx, on Arthur Avenue? That was our church, during the Feast! It is an amazing church!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by Midgette[/QUOTE]

I got married in Poughkeepsie...glad that your church was amazing too though!
  • Options
    PaoPao820PaoPao820 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey! Glad to hear you had such a fantastic wedding! I'm starting to look for vendors... I was wondering about your dj! I wanted to private message but for some reason it's not allowing me. I'd love to contact Danielle if possible. If you could pm me it'd be great! Paola
    -Paola- Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards