California-San Diego

Thoughts and experiences on these venues?

We relocated to San Diego last month. We came really far.... from Los Angeles after hoping we would end up in Austin, but we are SO HAPPY we came here! San Diego offers much more than I thought and I cannot believe that I just saw it as a place where Sea World and the zoo is!

We are LOVING the venues here. The ones in LA I liked all were way out of budget,

The 4 I like here are but haven't viewed:
1. Wave House
2. The Abbey
3. Twin Oaks
4. Star of the Sea
5. Ocean Palms

We are trying to keep this wedding on the smaller side at under 100 people for budget reasons and because we are a shy couple! We like the idea of more of an alternative wedding reception, but don't want to have this "WTF was I thinking?" feeling 30 years from now. Figure with some of he more traditional venues that it may actually be cheaper than the non traditional ones because we could always have just white as the color scheme and have lots of thrift store candle holders and whatnot (don't need that many flowers).

Re: Thoughts and experiences on these venues?

• edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Twin Oaks in san Marcos and so far through the process it has been PERFECT!!! karen is the owner and is just down for whatever you want to do. I couldn't recomend it more! Just book early! We booked jan 2nd for April 30, 2011! It was one of 2 Spring dates left! 
    We just stopped preventing January 2013! I use a tablet so please forgive my auto correct! :)
  • wendysandiegowendysandiego member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I coordinate a friend's wedding at the Star of the Sea over the summer.  It's a beautiful location, and the event coordinator for the location was so helpful (I can't remember her name).

Parking is a pain for guests, but there is a large pay lot across the street.  

She had 70 guests.  I don't know how 30 more would fit into that location, it was pretty tight with 70. But she also had a long head table. If  you do a sweetheart table, you could fit more chairs.  

I don't know what your budget is, but my friends' wedding was over $20K for 70 people. She did a signature drink, and had a seated dinner.  

You could also have your wedding on a Hornblower cruise ship, or even the Wild Animal Park or the Zoo!  Those are fun, alternative locations.
  • ekilzer1ekilzer1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought I was going to love Twin Oaks.... but I had a horrible horrible experience just during my initial visit. 

I had scheduled a tour.... but wandered the property for nearly 20 minutes before anyone even approached me to see if they could help me (there were people everywhere.... they were setting up for an evening wedding) When I asked who I needed to speak to, they simply pointed in a general direction- no verbal answer, no help whatsoever. So already, I am flustered and upset. 

There were a lot of hidden costs and I felt like I was being pushed into a decision during my entire consultation. 

They never followed up- never an email, a call, nothing. Which to me reflects that they really only cared about my money and not about my wedding or experience. Most places I visited followed up diligently- a email the day after, a call a week later and none of them felt pushy. Obviously, I knew these places were looking for some sort of answer, but ultimately I did not feel pressured to make a decision. 

I do not know about any of the others.... I really didn't want anything near the water or the beach so I did not look at your other options. 

Good luck!
  • BrideSpamBrideSpam member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Twin Oaks and it's a beautiful place. The owner Karen is a bit kooky but if you can stand your ground (I think she's used to pushovers) you'll do fine. If you're only having 100 people you cant do Twin Oaks on a Saturday. Their minimum is 125. I'd say go do a tour. It's worth 45 minutes of your time.
  • edited December 2011
    I have heard many goof things about the Twin Oaks venue. I think that it is worth a look. If you do decide to have your wedding there I work at a salon that is right down the street which would be perfect for your hair and nails :] Good luck withyour decisions!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards