Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

How much $$$ is too much?

So I've fallen completely head over heels for an amazing wedding photographer... the only problem is he's above the going rate.
For $3500 he's offering:Wedding CoverageOnline GalleryDVD of Digital Negatives and Edited Photos with Full Reprint RightsEngagement Session with a Custom Designed Wedding Guest Book10x10, 20 Page Spread, Custom Designed Leather Album4x6 Proof Prints of all Edited Photos1 for 2 Gift Registry (which allows our friends, family and guests to buy us credits that we can use towards any in studio products)Also take into consideration that he is traveling for us and this rate is $1500 off his advertised rate. Those of you in the know... does this seem fair for a professional photographer?

Re: How much $$$ is too much?

• Options
    edited December 2011

I think only you can determine how much is too much.  Even if it were below the going rate if it was above your budget it would be too much.  It also varies quite a bit by area.  I wouldn't say that it's crazy expensive...it seems average to me but a lot depends on their style and thier experience.  You can find much better deals and you can find much more expensive photographers.  If it's in your budget and it fits your wants and needs how can someone else tell you it's too much.

• Options
    vargasalvargasal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just so you know- if you like his work and he is a professional- this is an extremely fair price! you get what you pay for and being a former bride and in the wedding industry- the fact that he is giving you reprint rights at that price is HUGE!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess it is bit much.
  • Options
    flamingtwig72flamingtwig72 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It all depends on the level of his skill. There are a lot of professionals out there, but there are certainly major differences between them in terms of experience and sheer talent. We're paying about $4,500 for a photographer who can do amazing things with the prints, but many people wouldn't care that much about it and would choose to spend less on photography and more on something else. So no, it's not an outrageous price if he's worth it, but you just need to prioritize everything wedding related.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying $4300 for my photographer.  It's the most expensive part of my budget, but photos are very important to me.  I want to have photos that are great and that will last forever.  Our package includes: 12 hours of photography, a dvd with all the photos (~500) on it, copyright free so we can print off as many as we want, a photoalbum with 70 photos of our choice, an online gallery, and postage for the photoalbum and dvd (as its a destination wedding).  I looked into some photographers around my hometown as well, and most are charging around $3000-$3500 for the same package as you.  I think it's quite reasonable for a high-end photographer if you can afford it! I hope it works out for you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it is a great price.
    You have rights to your photos this is HUGE!
    Photos are one thing you have of your wedding day for years to come!  Of course besides your hubby and memories.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Actually IMO that seems below market for the LA area. It sounds like a really good deal to me plus you get the pictures on a dvd.
  • Options
    tmccabe13tmccabe13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When considering wedding photography, you most definitely receive what you pay for!  Our package was around $3500 and it seemed we received everything but the kitchen sink.  But we did hours of searching to find a true photojournalistic, candid photography company.  We found them.  Kristen from kmdcreations is amazing.  Might be worth your time to contact.  Good luck with everything though and I'm sure you'll make the best decision!  Yay!
  • Options
    Cali-PoppyCali-Poppy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards