New Hampshire

NWR: Apartment Opinions

So DH and I are looking for a new apt if we end up moving and I am having a dilemma.  There is an apartment company that owns 2 complexes...One would be a shorter commute, but is more expensive and the other would add 5-10 minutes to our commutes but would be cheaper meaning we could afford a bigger apartment.

Which would you go for?

April 2010 January SC - Favorite Picture from the Holidays
DH & I at the Light Festival

Anniversary

PersonalMilestone

Re: NWR: Apartment Opinions

• DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't consider an extra 5-10 minutes to a commute to be a big deal.  I would personally take the cheaper apartment, but I'd also take a smaller one to build up more savings, maybe for a house!  But ONLY if the two apartments were also of the same standard - if the cheaper one is also a crappier apartment in general, I wouldn't bother.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • dls.1215dls.1215 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I should add that the commute is already nearing 30 minutes so it would push it possibly closer to 40.   The more expensive apartment is nicer (recently renovated) but otherwise they are equal (even same floorplan)

Anniversary

PersonalMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I think 40 mins is getting on the longer side, but 30 mins is okay. But really its up to you on the commute. How much is the price difference? Is it worth it to save the money or a little bit of time? How long do you plan on staying there?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    I'm hoping to find a place that will last me through grad school (2 - 3 years)   I really like the first one and the price difference isn't HUGE, as long as we went with a 1 bedroom.  If we went with the second we could afford the 2 bedroom.  Gaaah choices!  I just want to buy a house!  But thats not feasible for us til I finish grad school since I have to cut my hours most likely to attend classes.

Anniversary

PersonalMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I don't want you to move.  :-(
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • FireDancer04FireDancer04 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm gonna go with Carly on this one.

However, I know that you are concerned about space. The one bedroom is hard to get away from each other when you want alone time. It will be harder to have guests stay (good & bad). I would go with the larger apartment. 
  • edited December 2011
    I would go with the smaller one only because I hate to drive in the winter its going to be more like a 60 min rather than a 40 for the larger place.
  • edited December 2011
    Lauren brings up some good points. And you'll have a lot less storage room and such with just one bedroom. 

And I agree, you should stay in NH :-D
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ericcaahericcaah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto the other ladies - please don't leave :(

But.. I think having an extra bedroom would be great - it would give you some extra space to study and do homework, and would allow you to have guests down to visit.  It would give you a little more space for storage, too. I vote larger apartment. The longer commute won't be terrible if you're not sitting in jammed traffic every morning. But if the longer commute means heavy traffic, I'd really think about it - sitting in bumper to bumper traffic every day gets really, really frusterating.
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Are you sure one of them is recently renovated? Ours was "recently renovated," but I'm pretty sure the stove was put in there when they opened the complex. It's very old. 

5-10 minutes wouldn't make a difference if your route doesn't include traffic. If your route to work often includes traffic, I'd be considering the closer one. 5-10 minutes could turn into 10-15 minutes.
    edited December 2011
    Ok so we went to see both of them today and the smaller one is WAAAAY nicer  and in a really nice neighborhood and considering the amount of traffic lights is about 15 minutes closer to work.  Its doable with the space, its actually pretty big for a 1 bedroom.  Also the complex is flexible that if we want a 2 bedroom in the future they will allow transfers (I want to stick with the smaller one to start so we can add to our savings etc.)  So I think we may have found one!   And I am sorry to leave NH but if they only had the grad school program I needed that wouldn't take 4 years!!!!   Don't worry I will be back often and you will just have to have a GTG when I get there!!!

Anniversary

PersonalMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    Waitaminute. Not in NH?? How far across the border to the darkside!? 
  • edited December 2011
    She's going south Chica!  Like Virginia/Maryland area.  :-(
    Anniversary Buying A Home
    edited December 2011
    I am in the process of applying to grad school in VA :( I have an associates degree plus a bunch of pre requisites in my field and most master's programs would require 4 more years and me to possibly quit my job and I just can't do that right now.  The program in VA is a bridge program that would be 1 day a week for 2 years.  I can handle that!  But sadly it will take me out of NH for a few years....but like I said GTG whenever I get back for a weekend!!!

Anniversary

PersonalMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I would go with the larger apt.  My FI had a 1 bedroom and recently moved into a 2 bedroom this past summer.  There is so much more room.  Even the common areas are larger.  Plus there is the spare room which we use as an office...enough room for two desks and a bookcase and another closet (his...I took the walk-in in the master).  You will definitely need more room for when you just need to do homework and stuff....be able to spread out and have quiet space without tripping over each other.  Worth the extra 10 minutes IMO
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Best of luck to you on Grad School and your move :)  Keep in touch!
    September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards