Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake copying

i gave my baker some ideas for my cake. Super simple with flowers. Though I went to a friend's wedding in the summer and absolutely loved their cake design. They didn't come up with the design it's a standard one that their baker does. It's all white with fondant flowers along the side but quite modern and different. Is it terribly rude to copy their cake. Would you care if someone did this. They'll be at out wedding.

Re: Cake copying

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would consider it a compliment. It would only be rude (IMO) if you saw her cake design before her wedding and then used it before she got the opportunity to. But, she's already used this cake design, so I see no harm in you copying it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lmg1115lmg1115 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    most pastry chefs will not blindly copy another chef's work. If you give your cake maker a picture of the cake you like and ask them to use it as inspiration but be original, that would probably be better.
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second both the above posts. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Add or take away some things !
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would ask your friend if they mind since they are attending your wedding.

My cousin got married 3 months before me and I really liked the way she did her hair.  So I asked her if she minded if I did the same thing.  She did not care at all.  I even used the same hair girl and all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the posts above.  There is nothing wrong with using the same idea, but make the cake your own, maybe adding a monogram or something.  Plus, it will mean more... you don't want to think about the cake and remember how you copied it from your friends wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tesskerrtesskerr member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is a good time for "same but different"
    Search on the knot or google for some similar cakes, and show your baker 2 or 3 designs and ask them to make you something similar. 
    If someone copied my cake exactly, I would be annoyed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards