Interracial Weddings

mexican/white....how do you mix your cultures

I'm white & FI is mexican & I just can't figure out the best ways to mix our cultures & traditions for our wedding. I want everyone attending to be able to have fun & understand everything. FI family all speaks spanish, most also speak english...but his parents do not. I'm not sure what I want to do. We will hopefully be getting married on July 14, 2012 ( 5 years to the day after we met).
TIA for any ideas or opinions.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: mexican/white....how do you mix your cultures

• edited December 2011
    My sisters BF is mexican I don't think they are anywhere near getting married but I she showed me a Mexican wedding where the friends did a kinda flash mob dance to surprise the bride and groom. Maybe your family could surprise his family and learn the Ranchero or Cumbia. That would be awesome.
    If you were coming in the fall I'd brush the summer by...Emily Dickinson imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could have all your paper stuff done bilingual...As for the toasts, I think you should address his parents in spanish.  What's for them is for them and if anyone afterwards asks what you said, you can just translate.

Could you maybe incorporate some good mexican food into your reception as well?  It might be a nice alternative and it gives your side of the family to taste REAL mexican food, not just the generic stuff.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a bilingial EVERYTHING, the ceremony, reception music mix of english and spanish songs, we are doing english invites and spanish invites. We decided to do a mix of two different songs for our first dance, part of one in english and part of one in spanish. I'm excited for the different cultures to be together. I know my American family and friends have never been to a super hispanic party with tequila and duranguense and ranchera music, and the super hispanic side has probably never eaten half the stuff we are having on the menu..so it should be interesting!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in the same position. I am white and my fiance is from Mexico. His sublings speak English, but his parent's have very brokem English. His grandma and some other relatives speak absolutely no English. I have no idea how we are going to mix it all together. I think for anything on paper, we are going to have that bilingual. Though my fiance does not want to have a bilingual wedding, but we'll see how it goes as we move forward. We're just enjoying being newly engaged at the moment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love your first dance idea! I think i might just do that at our wedding. Im Mexican n my fiance is Irish/Italian. Love it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards