North Carolina-Outer Banks

Outer Banks, NC, best town for beach wedding?

Im planning on getting married in the outer banks in may 2013. It is going to be a small ceremony and I want to rent a house on the beach in the outer banks. Im just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on areas since I've never actually been there? I am going down this may to scope out houses but am hoping to have a little info before i go. Im also wondering if the water is too cold to swim in late May, and if it would make a difference to go more south?

Re: Outer Banks, NC, best town for beach wedding?

• edited December 2011
    Im planning on getting married in the outer banks in may 2013. It is going to be a small ceremony and I want to rent a house on the beach in the outer banks. Im just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on areas since I've never actually been there? I am going down this may to scope out houses but am hoping to have a little info before i go. Im also wondering if the water is too cold to swim in late May, and if it would make a difference to go more south?
  • Hello and welcome!  We have lots of PA brides on the board :)

I would look at the "sticky note' that is posted at the top of this forum to get helpful information as far as vendors, etc.

This link will give you a lot of info on the area, some history and a section about where to stay as well.

http://www.outerbanks.org/

The Outer Banks has several different small towns--Carova is the northern most part of the beaches and is 4x4 only and is also where the wild horses roam.  Corolla & Duck are next and tends to be the....shall we say.....wealthier part of the island, with great shopping and beautiful homes.  Then there is Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head...which is the more populated areas, very very close to all of the action and touristy spots.  Further South, you have Avon and Cape Hatteras--which is the tallest lighthouse in the nation.

Yes, the water will still be quite cold in May.  Even though its very warm  & sunny at that time of the year, the water is still a little chilly.  I mean, you could take a quick dip and I stress "quick" lol.

I have been vacationing there since I was a kid and go down several times a year and my brother also lives there.  I know a lot of the houses in the area and myself as well as all of the other Knotties are more than happy to help.

Let me give you a few tips:
    May is still considered the off-season, so you will definitely save a lot of money on the home rental.  Consider a wedding day other than Sat/Sun only b/c most homes turn on a Sat/Sun and no one wants to get married on a Sat and then rush to check out by 10am on Sunday.  We did a Sun/Sun rental with a Friday wedding, so we could have that Saturday to relax before the big check-out.

If you have an idea of how many bedrooms you will need, an approximate date which also means a Sat or Sun home and any other specs other than OF (oceanfront), I can help you find some great homes!  Let me know if there are pets as well.

Again, welcome to the board and feel free to ask us absolutely anything!  :)

• Thank you so much! Our date is Thurs May 23rd, 2013. I picked a thurs because its in the middle of the week (plenty of time to set up and clean up) and that people don't have to take off as many work days. Also, my fiance is Jewish and so we can't get married on a friday afternoon. I would say that we need 5-7 bedrooms depending on the sleeping arrangements...We have 4 couples including us, 1 granparent, and 2 siblings that wouldn't mind pullouts, ect. We definatly want an oceanfront house that allows pets(trying to incorporate our dog into the ceremony somehow). I would love a house with all the extras (heated pool, pool table, ect.) We are having a very small wedding.. about 11 or 12 people total with just 1 bridesmaid/groomsman and having a relaxed dinner/drinks afterwards. We're planning to have a larger reception back in PA after the honeymoon.

We are going down this comming May to look at places in person but I would love to have an idea of a few homes to look at. Another thing that I'd like to do while down there is to meet with a Rabbi, find a hairdresser/makeup artist, and a photographer. Luckily my brother and sister are both photographers and have offered to take pictures during the ceremony and dinner. But since they don't have experience with wedding photographer I'd like to hire someone to take the couply pictures after the ceremony.

I would love any input or suggestions!
  • You are more than welcome!

If you look at the www.obxwa.com, you will find links to vendors, photographers, caterers, etc.  Since you want to do something small and at the beach house, you could have a small poolside reception and have catered bbq or something simple and cost effective since you are having a reception back home.

There are also links to beach homes throughout the OBX, but I will check my list and see what I have.  I saved all of the homes I considered in case someone else needed it down the road....and glad I did ;)

Our yellow lab was our ring-bearer and we wouldn't have done it without her, so I totally feel you on including your dog. 

I could write you a novel on all of the things you must do while down there and some of the best places to eat.

I am sure the other Knotties will be here to offer advice and suggestions as well.  In the meantime, let me work on that list and I will get back to you :)

Ohhhh....and read up on those links that I gave you too.  They are a great source for brides as well as getting to know the area a little bit.

• Ohhhh...do you want a Sat or a Sun check-in?  Or does it just depend on how fabulous the house is?

• Here are a few to get you started:

http://www.villagerealtyobx.com/OuterBanks/VacationRentals/SearchResults/11122216531765375/

I filtered it for 7 bedrooms or less, OF, pet friendly with hot tub/pool

• Hi Kelly & Congrats on your engagement!!

As OBX said, the Outer Banks is a truly amazing place to have your wedding and I'm sure you will be so happy with you and your fiance's choice. We were married in October in Kill Devil Hills. We looked at many of the areas mentioned but settled on Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills area because of it's proximity to shops and things to do for our guests. I used Amber from Bombshell's for my makeup and was VERY happy with her! She also does hair, but I had a friend style mine so I only needed her makeup services. Here's her website: http://www.bombshellsstudio.com/

Sounds like you're all set with photographers for the ceremony, which is awesome because that can be a major expenditure! For your after-ceremony photos, you should have no trouble finding a local photog with plenty of experience. We used Ginger Harvey of GingerSnaps Photos and were very happy with her. The sites OBX gave you are also great resources and will definitely help you with your selections. Let us know if you need any other vendor recommendations. We are here to help :)

Happy Planning & Happy Holidays!!

Sarah
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • If you're thinking about going south, anything beyond South Nags Head (from Coquina down to Hatteras Island) is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.  That means you have to pay $100 to use the land and can't have chairs/benches for your guests (excluding a couple for elderly or disabled).  Many of the towns say that you can't put chairs/benches on the beach, but they'll llook the other way if you set up and break down quckly - and there is no fee.  Water will be a little chilly no matter where you go in May though, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about that.  However May will be great in terms of pricing on everything, and if I wasn't a school teacher, I would have chosen May as well (we're June 22, 2012 - getting married on the beach in South Nags Head).  Let us know if you need anything else!
    image June 22, 2012
  • Hello!! We're getting married in the OBX this Summer (July 5 2012!!!!)...

My finacee's fam has been going down to the OBX for 20+ years. It really depends on what you want to spend & how crowded  you want the beaches/area to be. 

His family likes to stay in Southern Shores because it's a little less crowded, but not as expensive as Coralla. Southern Shores Reality has the largest number of homes at the greatest versaltitiy in prices, but like all "big companies" their homes can be hit or miss. The last few years (3 or 4 now) we've gone with Sun Realty instead. Their homes run a little more, but thus far have all been good quality & bug free.

Best of luck!!
    Sara
  • branfrog1branfrog1 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I just got married on 5/25/12 in Corolla and had a small wedding only 14 people including us. We rented a house in Corolla, it had 7 bedrooms and a pool among other things (it wasn't heated but everyone still got in it).  We got married at the Whalehead Club which is beautiful and then had our reception at the house.  If you do want another photographer I would recommend Keeler and Denson, that is who we used and they are very cheap compared to others in the area.  We don't have the pictures yet since it was just last week but I know they will be fabulous!
    May 25, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards