Chit Chat
Options

Brides Maid or Photographer

So this is something that I am sure not a lot of brides go through. A friend of mine is a amazing photographer. She offered to do our photos for the wedding but, I also want her as a bridesmaid what should I do??

Re: Brides Maid or Photographer

• Options
    If it were me, I would have her in the wedding and hire a photographer. You could always use her in the future for anniversary pics, new baby pics, TTD pics, etc. I would tell her how much you want her to be beside you on your special day. And there is no way she can do both.
  • Options
    Page emilyinchile on Etiquette or Wedding Party, I know one of her bridesmaids was also her photographer, so you could find out how she made it work.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    AH! I was just think about all this. My friend Holly is great, she just did our engagement photos... but I want her as my bridesmaid. Let me know what you decide!
  • Options
    I kind of had the go through the same thing... our usher is a professional photog and we thought of him to do the photos but we wanted him to enjoy the ceremony and reception without worrying about "working" on our special day.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    We have a similar situation. We have a friend who is really good with a camera, but he is not a professional photog. However, I would trust him to take wedding photos, but he is a GM. We found an inexpensive photog that did not mind others running around with a camera. She will do the whole wedding, and he will take any BP shots that he's not in and he will shoot during the reception at his leisure, so we still get his pics as well as the photogs. I think it will be nice because he is a bit more artsy than she is, so we will have two completely takes.

She might like this option, because she can still enjoy the reception and you will have tons of pics.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My brother is also a wedding photographer and he offered to do our wedding, but we hired our own because I wanted him to be a guest and not have to work.
  • Options
    My fiance is a wedding photographer.  PLEASE let your friend be your bridesmaid.  My fiance has had to shoot several of his family members weddings and secretly it always hurts his feelings a little bit.  His family is spread out all over the country and basically only sees each other at these weddings.  Everyone else gets to enjoy themselves and catch up with the people they haven't seen in forever while he is running around with a camera all day and barely gets to eat the roll that he asked me to butter for him while he is off doing table and detail shots.

I know your friend offered, and its because she loves and cares about you.  She has offered to do your pictures because she is excited for your wedding and wants to support you -- and she can do just that by being your bridesmaid!!  Then she can sit back, have a blast, and celebrate with you, rather than just being the girl behind the camera.  I think if you make that decision its one you'll feel good about, especially if she is someone that is important enough to you that you wanted to honor her by asking her to be in your wedding!

Good luck!!!  =)
  • Options
    if she has a second shooter, you might be able to do both... although, it's a lot of work, if she's okay with it, it could work out.  i'm a bridesmaid and photographer in my friends wedding coming up in october.  but because their doing a first look, i'll be doing bride and groom portraits, family, details, and everything else that doesn't involve me to be with the bride during the day.  my husband will be shooting the ceremony.  i would ask her also what she would prefer. :)
  • Options
    Years down the road when your looking back at your pics, you're going to rather she be in front of the camera and not behind it!
  • Options
    Both my aunt and uncle are professional photog's and I asked them for a recomendation, they todl me they were so happy I didn't ask them to shoot. I agree that you are gonna be happier with her beside you and not behind a camera. You can always find a photog but friends are forever. (as cheesy as that sounds)
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    My MOH is an amazing photographer.  Majored in it in college.  Shoots all sorts of weddings on the side.  She is my MOH and will not be the photographer. We picked out a photographer together.  One whose style I liked, and one whose quality was up to her high standards.

I think BM is a higher honor than photographer.  But you should definitely get some recommendations from her or you two should sit down togethr and go over a photographer's work and she can let you know if they are good quality or not.  I thought it was great when my MOH helped me out.  "Oh, his work has this, this, and this wrong.  You'll get ripped off if you here." etc.

So I would definitely have her as a BM and hire someone.  Also, my MOH did some engagement photos for FI and I instead of shooting the wedding. :)
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ask her to be a bridesmaid.  I am an amateur photographer and I was a bridesmaid in my friends wedding but still got some amazing pics just having fun and not worrying about the pressure of being a "real" photographer for her. 

Have her do engagement pics and tell her that you love her work and would love for her to snap pics while getting ready, at the reception etc if she wants to, but first and foremost you would like her to be a bridesmaid, and maybe help pick out a photographer.
  • Options
    My best friend is a photographer, and she helped photograph our wedding while being a bridesmaid. It was a ton of work for her though!  We hired a second photographer that matched her style, and they worked really well together.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards