Ohio-Columbus
Options

Alfred Angelo on Sawmill.

I had a horrible experience with the manager (Pam) at this location. I had previously, with consultant Karen, tried on the new style size 18 Ariel dress and it fit almost perfectly. A month or so later I went back to order it and Pam tells me I need a size 30 PLUS an extra yard of fabric to "take it out". I argued, as did my 2 bridesmaids who had been with me, but she degraded me telling me it "would never fit me" and that I "must have the wrong dress" so I should look for a different one. Because my wedding is six months away, I HAD to order it, but she made me order the 30. I'm so scared the alterations will ruin my dress. I've emailed corporate a few times but no one will help me. Has anyone else had problems with this woman or have a helpful hint as to how I can get this resolved? HELP!

Re: Alfred Angelo on Sawmill.

• Options
    Did you ask her to speak to your original sales rep?
  • Options
    I had a terrible time with the manager there myself.  I wouldn't rest until you get ahold of someone from corporate.  But I do need to warn you:  at the end of the day, you did sign the dotted line for a size 30, so when the 30 comes in you're going to be stuck with it.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't raise hell about your experience, however.
  • Options
    They do try and talk you into a larger size so that you have to get it altered but you have to stand your ground! They tried to suggest a size and I choose the size that I wanted! 
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm sorry you had a horrible experience. I however, absolutely love Pam.  She may be a little scatterbrained at times but she has been very helpful everytime I have gone in there.  I think the majority of the problem is that the staff there does not communicate well with each other.  Was there any information written in the system? All of the consultants I have worked with always put my information in the system everytime I was in there along with all the dresses I was considering and the sizes I had tried on.  Did your consultant Karen write the information in there?  Maybe the dress size was marked wrong when you tried it on because an 18 and a 30 are a big jump.  Were you able to try on the size 18 again? But I never tried on any of the Disney dresses so maybe they run a little differently.  Just remember the consultants there are only trying to help.  I was trying on size 18 dresses and ordered a size 14 and the staff there including Pam were very concerned because most brides can only afford to order one dress and they want to make sure you are ordering according to the size that will fit you best.  Its always easier to take a dress in versus letting a dress out because you have to worry about it losing its shape and having lines and holes where seams once were.  In my case I was ordering a dress that was 2 sizes smaller and they were very against me doing so because a majority of brides try to do the same in hopes that they will lose weight, when most stay the same or even gain a little weight due to all of the added stress.  Im sure everything will work out and you will look great on you big day!
  • Options
    I had a great experience there as well, no issues with Pam or the salesperson other than my bridesmaid appointment not being scheduled correctly.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I had a wonderful experience at Alfred Angelo! I too bought a Disney Princess dress I bought Tiana. I believe they do run smaller because I couldn't believe the jump in size from my street size to what I bought. Try it on in the size 18 and see if it fits right, they may have told you that you tried on an 18 and was wrong. Sorry you had a bad experience.
  • Options
    First things first, if you paid for your dress with a credit card, (not a debit card, they have slightly different rules, but you can call the # on the back of the card and ask, just do it ASAP) you have 60 days from the date of purchase to dispute the charge. Write down all the information pertaining to the purchase, the date, the amount, so they can look it up more quickly. You simply call in and ask for the dispute department. You might want to write that info on a print out of your original post here, because the advisor on the phone will ask a lot of questions, and it will make it easier if you have all the facts in front of you. Secondly, assuming the dress comes in within 60 days, if the fit is terrible and and requires major alterations, do not have them done at the store. Almost always alterations can be done cheaper (and often better!) by independent seamstresses. But I would absolutely contact corporate and file a complaint with them. There is an enormous difference between an 18 and a 30, and at the very least she was guilty of being terribly insensitive. If you were fit for an 18, there is no reason on earth for her to have demanded such a wildly different size without  gentle and DETAILED explanation. While I have never worked in a bridal store, I was the manager of the formal dress depart ment at Von Maur for a year or so (and would still be at that job had illness and disability forced me out of the job. I LOVED working there, and still shop the store regularly!) and any time I had to grab a customer a dress from a larger size, or go from a misses size to a woman's (plus) size, it was ALWAYS with an explanation of how small dress sizes run with so many designers. (True story!) I would make every effort to make my customers feel beautiful and confident about their dresses, because why on earth would you want to spend several hundred dollars to feel miserable? Confidence is the single most attractive quality a woman can have, and if she did not make you feel beautiful, especially in a dress that is the most important one you will ever wear, she should be heavily censured, at the very least! In any case, you deservce to feel beautiful in your dress on your wedding day, and I hope that however this turns out, that is exactly how you end up feeling.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That place is a joke. I called and left a message about coming in to try on gowns and never got a call back. I was in the area at other bridal stores and called the store to see what was up and if I could at least just come in and look at the dresses to see if it was worth setting up an appointment and the manager said with an attitude that I could but "would not" be able to try any on and would have to make a later appointment for a like a week later. Ok whatever. Well I was only like 5 min away and this was also on a week day late afternoon. I pulled up and there was maybe one car in the parking lot.// I went in and there was no one else in the store but the employee's. I explained that I had just talked to someone on the phone and the manger which was the one I spoke to finished doing something behind the desk then came over. I was on a time retraint and was told that I would not have enough time to order a dress and after she looked for a min said that she did not have anything that would work for me. Ok, whatever... The main complaint I had was if I did see something I liked, why couldn't I try it on again? There was no one in the store and they had 3 people working and like 15 dressing rooms... Don't get it.. 
  • Options
    I have to say it... can't resist. I had a terrible time there too! I scheduled an appointment specifically to try on 1 dress, because I had been there previously and narrowed it down. Whenever a bride specifies that they're there to show their mom the dress they think they want to buy, you're obviously within purchase range, so I would have thought they'd be a little more appropriate. The appointment was at 11:00, we arrived at 10:55am. The sales lady asked what we were there for and I told her I had an appointment for 11:00 to try on one dress. So she says ok, then another bride walks in and the sales lady says, let me help this customer first. Probably not wise, but fine. Then another customer comes in. The saleslady says "I'll be with you in a minute, but this customer already bought her dress so I'm going to help her first". Ok, whatever. Then a customer comes in saying "I don't have an appointment, can I just pull my own dresses and put them on myself?" Sure - and they actually assign her someone to assist in getting the dresses on - and there were 3 more women working there who were sitting on the couches hanging out and chatting. And I have absolutely no problem with walk-ins, but no idea why one of the other 3 girls working there wouldn't help me. By the time it was 11:45, both my mom and I were furious. I take the dress off the rack, go into a dressing room and get the dress on myself. I was already so mad about waiting and having everyone under the sun come in and be helped before me even though I had an appointment, I didn't even want the dress anymore. We walked out and went elsewhere. Then as I'm leaving with my mom, the saleslady was all like, "Oh, I was going to help you - didn't you want to try on your dress?" Let me also express that it really wasn't busy. We're standing there, watching this lady fill out paperwork, then make a few phone calls, then help a few customers who walked in half an hour after us, etc. I don't know why it happened, and don't care. But I have never and never will purchase a single thing from there after that experience.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards