Hawaii
Options

Does everyone seem to want payment in Cash or Check?

Happy Thursday Ladies!

Our wedding at Olowalu is about 8 1/2 months out and so far it seems that most of the vendors (venue, photographer, even WC) want payments in either Check or Cash and if they will even let you use a CC they charge an extra 3% convenience charge. I am all for paying by Check & Cash if I have all the money laying around to pay but weddings are expensive! Just wondering if anyone else has/had this experience with HI Vendors??

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Anniversary

Re: Does everyone seem to want payment in Cash or Check?

• Options
    breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't had that experience, but as a small business owner, it makes sense. We have to pay that 3% credit card fee when we run the credit card, so we get less money. It makes sense that they are asking for you to cover that convenience fee, especially since most of these vendors are small local businesses.
  • Options
    lorena224lorena224 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I have had to send a check (hair & make-up), money order (Olowalu), and credit card (photog & restaurant for dinner). I can't remmeber what the WC said she accepted. I have to set that up still. So I have gotten requests for all different sorts of payment. And I haven't been charged a fee for the credit card use.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    So far I've been paying in checks issued by my bank to the vendors for Olowalu and the WC.  I was thinking of using a CC so that we can get points on the card.  Thing is I wouldn't book anything that I didn't have the money saved up for already.  The idea was to charge the card and pay off the balance with the cash.  I'll probably pay CC for my dress and then pay the bill when it comes.
  • Options
    maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Paypal has been my new best friend...most vendors deal with paypal or CC...only make-up and ceremony music i believe did i need to send a money order for. J. :-)

• Options
    FSForeverFSForever member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I love paypal too but have only used our savings debit card to pay for wedding deposits.  Then I know we have the money.  They haven't charged us any type of fee for using a cc though. Maybe because its debit?

• Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We paid by CC when we could b/c I felt personally safer (since you can cancel the payment if someone defrauds you), and we wanted reward points when we could get it.  But we did pay some vendors with checks if they requested it because I knew they'd take a hit from the CC fees.  They didn't ask us to pay extra if we paid by CC, but I wanted them to get their whole fee.

The big vendor who got paid by CC was the restaurant where we had our reception dinner.  They're a bigger business, though, and are probably better able to absorb the fees.
  • Options
    maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Re: paypal if you pay via bank account or cc tied to your bank account then you are not charged any fees only when you use your cc and above a certain amount.  I always use the personal reason code with the other box.  When i initiate a payment then sometimes i am charged a small fee...usually not more than $5...which is fine for the convenience of it imho. HTH! J. :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes... everyone has asked me for a check -- wedding planner, photographer, videographer, venue (Lanikuhonua).
    Lanikuhonua was mandatory check.
    Wedding planner said she would take my cc# if I gave her 3%.
    Videographer and I are working out paypal details.
    Photographer and I are pending an arrangement.
    We do have the money to pay for these but prefer credit card because of their fraud protection policy. Since most of you guys are destination wedding people like me... it's hard to mail money to someone we have never seen before!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like carrie, we did a lot by Paypal which allowed me to send payments via CC.  We paid as much as we could by CC and Paypal, but the rest by check.  I paid for my dress with CC and so glad I did -- the bridal store ended up being a shady operation and I ultimately had to dispute with the bank to get my money back.

BTW, the 3% uplift is a huge pet peeve of mine.  I understand why small businesses think it might be necessary, but technically, it is a violation of the vendors' terms with the credit card companies to pass on the 3% uplift to you.  They can offer you a 3% discount to pay cash/check, but they cannot charge you a 3% uplift unless they are offering a service outside of their core business (in which case they CAN charge a convenience fee).  Tickytac point, I know, but it irks me!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were a mix of everything - cash/credit and cheque.
  • Options
    dianalynmdianalynm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So far we paid cash to our photog and CC to our WC, who req'd 3% on top, but the FI has a Venture card, so we're trying to accumulate pts for hotel bookings for family. Works out...
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards