Colorado-Denver

NWR: Vacation Question

Hi Ladies!

I hope you don't mind my intruding on your board.  I am a regular knottie on the Dallas/Fort Worth board.

We will be flying into your wonderful city to go skiing in Breckenridge next month. I've never been skiing before so I was just wondering if you ladies might have any tips for us.  Anything from things to pack (things we may not have thought of) must see places, and any tips/tricks for getting deals on rentals or lift tickets.

Thanks!  Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated! :)

Tiffany

Re: NWR: Vacation Question

• edited December 2011
    most of the major ski resorts provide skis and other gear up there

i hate to say it, but true coloradens rarely ski! i went once  and hated it. HA!

oh well, wear sun screen, bring or buy water bottles, tons of chapstick and just be prepared for a major climate/oxgyn level change

have fun in our beautiful state :D
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Oops, I guess I just made the assumption that all people in Colorado ski just like all of us in Texas ride horses.  :)

Thanks for the tips, I didn't even think about chapstick!!
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure I think that's true, but ok.

Sunscreen is a must. You may be on snow, but you can get a major sunburn from the light reflecting off of the snow. Not good.

I would rent skiis somewhere off-mountain. Silverthorne is probably your best bet (you have to go through there to get to Breck). Blue Valley Rentals is literally just off the highway, take the Silverthorne exit and turn right. Hang a U-turn at the first light and turn right into the parking lot by the gas station. The rental shop is next to Quizno's. They have great prices on ski packages.

If you happen to know of someone who has a pass they can get you discounted lift tickets. Otherwise I would look into buying your lift tickets off-mountain also. You can sometimes get deals for buying multiple days. Google search will help with this. Also, Copper Mountain does a deal where you get a 4-pack of tickets (4 lift tickets that can be used anytime) for $200, which is VERY cheap. Not sure if Breck does that though.

Bring a swimsuit (you'll probably have a hot tub where you're staying), bring warm boots (uggs or the like), you'll want casual clothes for dinners out (you really don't need anything fancy at all, most people where their ski clothes or jeans to dinner).

That's all I can think of right now. Have fun skiing!!!

Edit: One more! If you've literally never been skiing before I would take a beginner lesson on your first day. You'll be much more comfortable on the lifts and the slopes with a bit of instruction under your belt. And skiing really isn't that much fun if you can't control your skiis, speed, etc. Lesson=good.
  • edited December 2011
    other advice i can think of

bring a variety of clothes. it gets really, really, really, really cold at night and can warm up rapidly in the middle of the day! wear layers

sorry to be such a debby downer about the skiing. i hope you enjoy it. :D
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Bkseller13Bkseller13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you can, spend a night in Denver first.  You could have major problems going from sea level to 14,000 feet without any acclimation.  Drink LOTS of water, it'll help with the altitude sickness.  (some symptoms include headaches, nausea etc.)  You'll be much happier if you let your body get used to the interim altitude first.
  • edited December 2011

Thanks ladies!! I really appreciate your help... I didn't realize there were so many things outside of normal stuff to pack to think of!

nhand - Thanks for the rental tip, I will look them up!

• edited December 2011
    I second Bkseller- altitude sickness can kill your vacation.

A couple more things to add regarding altitude:
    Take it easy your first day- aerobic activity, like skiing, increases your likelihood of getting altitude sickness.
    Start drinking water a couple days before you get here and continue to drink water throughout your trip, like Bkseller says.
    Don't drink too much alcohol- really hard to do on vacation for some people (like me), but you really pay for it in the mountains. 
    Bring ibuprofen.  If it gets really bad while you're up there, call a doctor.  There are really effective prescription medicines.
    If your place has a humidifier, use it!  Your skin and lungs will feel dry coming from Texas.

Enjoy yourselves!  Breckenridge is be-yoo-tiful!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards