Maine

Intimate wedding venues in Maine?

My fiance and I are in the early planning stages for our wedding, and it looks like we will have a maximum of 50 guests.  We are looking for an outdoor setting in the fall of 2011.  Does anyone have suggestions for great venues in this guest range? Thank you!

Re: Intimate wedding venues in Maine?

• ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What part of Maine are you looking to get married in? I would look at various state parks, most of them rent for a very modest price (I got Fort Popham for free) and you can choose from a variety of settings. Most of them have picnic areas where you can set up a tent for the reception as well. Here are some options in the midcoast area that you can google:

Wolfe's Neck State Park, Freeport (on the ocean)
    Bradbury Mountain State Park, Pownal (huge picnic area, you could have your ceremony on top of the "mountain" it's only about a 10 minute walk to the top and the views are gorgeous)
    Fort Popham State Historic Site, Phippsburg (ocean on three sides, views of lighthouse, I booked it for 9.10.11)

Other options are ski resorts, which tend to have decent prices in the fall, which is there off season. 
    Shawnee Peak, Bridgton
    Lost Vally, Auburn
    Sunday River, Bethal

You can also look into various bed and breakfasts, most of which have a nice ceremony space outside and a dining room or something for your reception inside.
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • edited December 2011
    We are renting a private home in Bethel/Newry called Ski Esta (google it, it is freaking awesome!).  It is stunning and can easily sit 50 people for dinner.  It overlooks the mountains and the view is breathtaking.  There is a great option on the deck for an outdoor ceremony, but has the safety an indoor option as well.  There is also the Artist's Covered Bridge in town where people have weddings.  In the same town there is also the Glen House, which has a larger lawn for an outdoor wedding, but no inside option. 

We couldn't be happier with our venue selection and can tell you that the homeowner has been wonderful.  If you go this route let me know, and I can fill you in on the other vendors I'm using.  Good luck! 
    Married 9.4.11
  • edited December 2011
    There is a neat place in Gorham called Friends Corner. It's a residence that has acres and acres of absolutely beautiful gardens. There are loads of possibilities for small or large parties at this venue. I found out about them through my caterer, The Blue Elephant. Check them out I think you'd like it, it really is a fantastic space! 
  • dancing247dancing247 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should definitely check out Blue Sky on York Beach, ME.  Since you are in Boston, Southern Maine is probably a great option and if you haven't seen Blue Sky before, you will be amazed at how beautiful it is.  It doesn't even fit in with York Beach, it's more of a Manhattan elegance.  Totally a romantic and picturesque venue with luxury hotel accommodations, too.  Blue Sky has a great deck which is awesome for drinks and pictures. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much guys!  These are some beautiful options!  I'm sorry to have been so slow - I've been out of the country for a few weeks but it's back to planning now! :)

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_intimate-wedding-venues-maine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:98Discussion:a8defba4-a16a-4351-b479-3eb2f4c891a8Post:2e8890b6-2365-4ce3-916b-e15f5f671b63">Re: Intimate wedding venues in Maine?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are renting a private home in Bethel/Newry called Ski Esta (google it, it is freaking awesome!).  It is stunning and can easily sit 50 people for dinner.  It overlooks the mountains and the view is breathtaking.  There is a great option on the deck for an outdoor ceremony, but has the safety an indoor option as well.  There is also the Artist's Covered Bridge in town where people have weddings.  In the same town there is also the Glen House, which has a larger lawn for an outdoor wedding, but no inside option.  We couldn't be happier with our venue selection and can tell you that the homeowner has been wonderful.  If you go this route let me know, and I can fill you in on the other vendors I'm using.  Good luck! 
    Posted by chrispygal[/QUOTE]

I saw this place and considered it! Do you have to rent it for a whole week or can you just rent it for a night?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards