Not Engaged Yet
Options

Pergo floors

Not an interesting topic but I figured I would ask.  My goal for 2012 is to install pergo flooring/laminate hardwood flooring in my master bedroom hallway, living room and dining room.  So most of my condo, my current carpet is old has lots of pulls and stains.  Thanks to my cats.  BF nor I have any clue on this stuff so I would need to hire someone to install

Does anyone have it in their house? Do you like it?  How does it work with cats?  It is pretty resistant to cat claw marks and cat stains( ie puke)? It is a bad idea putting some money into my condo that continues to loose value as I speak ( thank you economy..)?  

Any thoughts or opinions are always appreciated.  I'll be back later, have a great day everyone!

Anniversary

Re: Pergo floors

• Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have actually heard that laminate floors hold up better than real wood when it comes to pets, but I am only passing along the rumor mill.  We also want to get some laminate/wood floors in, but we're going to tackle it ourselves. We like home repair projects, and from what we hear, it's not *that* hard toinstall.  Compared to that tiling project, this will be a cinch. Our carpet is on the "one day" impending replacement, but probably not this next year--unless the BF finallly finds that great deal on flooring.

Make sure to get floors with a long-lasting warranty and go for ones that are at least 7 mm thick.  Also if you're worried about staining, go with a darker color floor. Buy enough square footage with enough for 10% lost for waste.

If you have to replace your floors, you have to replace your floors, regardless of how much the economy blows.  So make smart choices about it--start shopping NOW and find something on sale.  Read up about installing yourself (if you want to be brave and save a grip of money) and make a game plan for saving up for the floors.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have laminate flooring in my condo and I love it! I purchased my condo over 4 years ago and had the flooring installed before I moved in. They look good as new today! I have a cat and a dog who are not easy on it, but there have been no scratches, dents or discolorations in all this time. I did drop a metal candle stick off my fireplace mantle and that did leave a small mark....but otherwise nada. I purchased mine through Empire because I was in a time crunch and they were wonderful. BF's brother installed his own in their kitchen and it looks great though. I think they offer free classes at Home Depot if you were interested in going that route.

As far as if it's a good investment - I can't speak to that. I know that when I purchased my condo laminate flooring was considered an upgrade from carpet. I also think they are easier to keep looking nice while showing a home. Whether you would get a return on that investment in this market though? I really don't know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have also heard that laminate is more durable than real hardwood. With my very limited experience in the housing market (aka, HGTV shows) people don't seem to like laminate floors and would prefer hardwood in resale just because it's "hardwood". I bet 75% of the general population cannot tell laminate from hardwood by just looking at it though. I say if you want it, go for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You can't tell by a glance if its hard wood or laminate.  But I had laminate in my old apt.  It does chip, I dropped things on the laminate floor and chipped it.  The thing about hardwood is over the years in wears in and looks really nice.  Laminate as it ages doesn't do that.  There isn't the nice finish that a hardwood floor can get. 

I will agree that laminate is easier to keep clean in regards to cats and pets than carpet but the house or your condo will be insanely colder without the carpet.  So perhaps some throw rugs might be in order.  Also without the carpet noises travel father and are louder.  Hahaha... that I have experienced. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow thank you guys for the awesome input! I figure it would look better when I try to sell in a few years with the laminate versus the crappy carpet in there now.  I really wish I could or the BF & I could tackle the installation on our own, but handy and crafty I am not.

The carpet I have now is a very thin kind of carpet, but I didn't even think about the fact that it would be colder or the fact that the sound of cats running around at 3am might actually be heard! Area rugs are a good suggestion! I never though of the that lyn! Thanks for the advice and tips everyone :-) I think next week I am going to begin calling for estimates.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards