Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Addressing to a couple I only know female..and that guest

I had been googling and looked up on the Q&A but not finding this direct answer.

If I am inviting a couple and I only know the wife does her name go first or go by the standard Mr. and Mrs His full name....

This is the last thing I need to confirm before I address the STD's and don't want to go wrong even though half the websites I found said there is no rule for STDS like there are for invitesUndecided

Also throw this in here, did you put & Guest on the STDS or leave that off? We offer Pre-RSVP online due to so many people booking their travel plans this Summer for the wedding or already took it off when our families told them. If they have a guest the guests name is needed on the online rsvp
Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Addressing to a couple I only know female..and that guest

• Options
    You need to get the husband's name.

And please indicate if your guests can bring a guest on the STD.  Do not do pre-RSVPs though.
  • Options
    No, I KNOW the husbands name, I just do not know him personally, so I did not know if there was a difference in addressing it.

It's too late for the pre-rsvp people in the family and wedding party who go to the website already used it, they are still getting their invites though, we didn't want to give the website and say "Oh, please don't rsvp yet" that sounded bad
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    It doesn't matter if you don't know him personally.  If you're using titles, then you still address as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith.

If you'd rather put the woman's name first, you can list as:
    Mrs. Sally and Mr. John Smith, but I think most preferred would be: Sally and John Smith (no titles)

As for pre-rsvp even though it's too late.  I wouldn't count on their guests attending even if they say yes.  Responding months before the wedding is silly b/c things can change.  What if someone gets pregnant and can't fly, etc? 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_addressing-couple-only-femaleand-guest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:b2cd659e-3171-4e65-aacd-eb1790f7a004Post:59bbbaa9-87d0-4747-b63f-911f6194a9d6">Re: Addressing to a couple I only know female..and that guest</a>:
    [QUOTE]It doesn't matter if you don't know him personally.  If you're using titles, then you still address as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith. If you'd rather put the woman's name first, you can list as: Mrs. Sally and Mr. John Smith, but I think most preferred would be: Sally and John Smith (no titles) As for pre-rsvp even though it's too late.  I wouldn't count on their guests attending even if they say yes.  Responding months before the wedding is silly b/c things can change.  What if someone gets pregnant and can't fly, etc? 
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

TY, yea we don't have too many + 1's just a few single college friends that date here and there lol I will probably have more child avoidance to do call backs on then anything else.
  • Options
    I'm going to let you know I'm not an etiquette expert.

I didn't use titles for the STDs because I wanted it to be more casual. Also, I didn't include +1s on the STDs but I did include them on the invites. I may have been incorrect with that -- but I think its weird to include "and guest" because its not an invitation. When I talked to my single friends (only a few) I told them they are welcome to bring a guest. I also didn't include recent relationships on the STDs -- most of them are still together so I included the SO on the invite.

I think STDs are less formal so there are less rules. The only official rule I know of is that if you send a STD you must send an invitation.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    Even if you only know the wife, you still label the envelope correctly.  So you might know Sarah Smith but not her husband John Smith, but the invitation would read: Mr. and Mrs. John Smith.  If the woman kept her maiden name, then it'd be Ms. Sarah Smith and Mr. John Doe (regardless of whom you knew better -- husband or wife).
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! All done and only 4 people still have no sent their addresses over..hand writing in my personal best over 80 postcards was a pain in the butt..and of course the only one I had to RE-DO was a bad work in a last name that I forgot the C....FI laughed at me for that..I'm just grateful I don't have their last name...Glass (four more letters)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards