• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
Military Brides

how to address a widow

My friends husband was killed in Afghanistan pretty recently and I am addressing invitations for my own wedding as we speak. Im not sure if there's a way everyone in the military goes about this as I am also marrying a marine. How do I address her invite? Ms? Mrs? Or Mrs latehusbandsname? I really don't want to make her sad or offend her?

Re: how to address a widow

  • Traditionally, it would be Mrs. Joe Schmoe.  It wouldn't be offensice to me.  If you really aren't sure, you could address it as Mrs. Jill Schmoe.  I would ask someone close to her. 
  • Widows are addressed as Mrs. Joe Smith. You only use Mrs. Mary Smith when a woman is divorced.
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr
    Knottie Warrior 1000 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    No, when someone is divorced, they are Ms. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards