Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

What did you do at your ceremony?

We are having an outdoor wedding, every wedding that I have been to they have used a unity candle.  What did you or are you planning to do at your wedding?  Any suggestions that don't involve a table at the end of the isle?

Re: What did you do at your ceremony?

• Options
    we did a sand ceremony (but it required having a table at the ceremony site)
    no identifiable siggy pictures anymore, thanks a lot stupid nest!
  • Options
    We're doing a Cord of Three Strands from www.godsknot.com. It doesn't require a table...just someone to hang onto the cords before and after that part of the ceremony.
  • Options
    The whole ceremony symbolizes unity you really don't need anything extra. I would just leave it out.

• Options
    A lot of outdoor weddings tend to sway towards the sand ceremony so the flame doesn't blow out, but you dont have to do either if you dont want to.
  • Options
    We had done a full-on Pagan Handfasting (where the God's Knot is taken from, but really skewed, IMO, because in Pagan tradition both parties, regardless of gender, are equal).  But there's so much prejudice against non-Christians in this country that we had to do a seperate ceremony for our legal wedding.  So we had a beach ceremony--outside is ALWAYS where Pagan rituals are performed, because the Goddess and God created this earth, not buildings.

Ok, now that I have that off my chest :-)   So, we did a ceremony of about 20 minutes, and used the Pagan "Cakes and Ale" ritual.  It doesn't require a table, and the sentiment is loving, and beautiful. You say to the other, as you offer them the goblet "may you never thirst" and then while you feed them a bit of cake "May you never hunger."  

However, I'm with the pp that unless it's meaningful to you, then the ring exchange and vows are plenty. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    My DD had a beautiful outdoor ceremony.  As PPs have said:  a wedding ceremony IS a unity ceremony, so you really don't need anything else.

You'll still be married even if you don't light a candle, pour sand, mix dirt, combine wine, plant trees, or any other of the myriad of things that are proposed.

Oh:  DD did not have a separate "unity" anything.  The wedding police did not burst in and call a halt to her ceremony.  She's still married.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    We did a sand ceremony and gave roses to our Moms/hugged our parents. Pics in married bio.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments.  I am just worried that our ceremony is going to be really short, (which I don't mind) but taking this out we make it even shorter.  I have considered the sand, but requires a table.  Keep the suggestions coming!
  • Options
    We aren't doing any extra "unity" ceremony.  You can always add another reading or two to add a few more minutes to the length of your ceremony.
  • Options
    How short is short?  As a guest, shorter ceremonies are nice.  They don't drag on and are still very meaningful.  I think ours was about 20 minutes.  Our minister gave a very short talk and with a reading, vows, etc. it was long enough while not dragging on.
  • Options
    Have you heard of the Hand Ceremony?? Google it. It's really cute (in my opinion :) )
  • Options
    ARGH.  Again, as with the God's Knot, the hand ceremony is just a skewed version of the Handfasting ceremony.  Here's the deal.  The Pagan ritual of handfasting IS the wedding ceremony.  Paganism is older than Christianity, hence handfastings were where a lot of these ceremonies originated.  Call it what you will, it's still a handfasting, which is short for handfastening, or tying the hands together.  Because the Christians have waged a disinformation campaign against Paganism, calling it devil worship (it is not, you can't worhsip what you don't believe in) many Christian churches won't allow handfastings, but just do something similar and call it by a different name.   
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    We aren't doing any extra unity things at the ceremony and I doubt they will be missed.
  • Options
    we are doing the gods knot as well. After we braid it our best man will hold it
  • Options
    We are actually doing paper flowers.  The paper flowers are made from notes given to us from various people in our lives and made into flowers and then we will put them into a vase.  I am sticking with this idea....but what does everybody else think?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    we're doing a love letter memory box. We will both be putting our unread letters, bottle of wine and two flutes into a box and locking it.

The wedding officiant explains the box and its contents to our wedding guests, clarifying that the box will only be opened should we encounter trouble in our marriage or on a predetermined milestone, we're saying our 5th anniversary Once the box is opened the wine is to be enjoyed and the love letters read to remind each other of why we chose to marry. (At which point we will have written new letters, bought new wine and place them back in the box to do again in 5 year increments.)

Witnessed by the guests in attendance,we perform the ceremonial "Locking of the Box" to symbolize the commitment we are making to each other.

• Options
    Sand may be good since its out doors and if its windy you don't have to worry about the flame... The sand comes in so many colors to
    RSVP: AUGUST 18,2010 image 256 Are Invited image 191 Are ready to Party!
    image 65 Will be missing out image 0 Where Are you? We can't wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    no candles, no sand, no ropes, just vows :)
    VICTORIA image 135 Invited so far!
    image 90 Are ready to party!
    image 40 Will be missing out!
    image 5 Are MIA!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards