Just Engaged and Proposals

A bit late in posting, my proposal story on Valentines Day

I know a little late in telling my story but it is well worth it! My proposal was filled with surprise after surprise.  I knew a month earlier at my niece’s birthday party that my bf asked my dad for permission for my hand and my dad was all too excited to let me know.  What I didn’t know was when it was going to happen.  We had talked about getting engaged when I came back from work in August eight months later.  My bf asked me what my favorite memory of Valentine’s Day was.  I really only had one memory of going to a greasy diner.  At this time my only thought was he was going to surprise me with a romantic dinner.  No matter how much information I tried to get out of him, his lips were sealed…at least to me.  Turns out my parents knew the whole time! The night before Valentine’s day in SC, where he lives, he made me promise not to get mad at him in the morning. I promised.  So at O’dark thirty he wakes me up, tells me to shower and when I came out he had a bag on the bed telling me to pack for a night or two.  We started driving and about two hours into it he asked me if I knew where we were going.  I had to get a map out and he told me it was 400 miles from where he lives.  There was a choice of two states considering we were headed in a northerly direction.   Finally he said “what is your favorite place in the world?” I started jumping up and down, as much as you can in a seat belt and said Colonial Williamsburg! I have been going there since I was a little girl on family vacations and recently my Fiance has joined the gatherings.  We got to town and went to the store because someone forgot a card for me.  We pulled into the Cedar Inn just down the street from Colonial Williamsburg and walked up to the old house to have the first person  greet us said “oh you must be the couple eloping?!  Congrats”  My bf heart just about dropped into his stomach.  The owner came out and said NO it was my bf birthday.  Turns out a couple that looked very similar to us was actually getting married there that night.  So we got settled into our room and were told that an hour after we hear the music the ceremony will be done and we could leave for our dinner reservations.  We heard the music but the clock read an hour earlier, so we thought it was just a practice run.  In that time I sat on the bed while my bf wrote my card.  When the clock said 6pm we stepped out and started our walk to the restaurant when we looked at our phones and realized the clock in the room was an hour late and we missed our reservations!!  The restaurant was called and they had an opening. Phew! I can’t recall what I had to eat but I do know it was by far the best food I ever had.  Afterwards we went for a walk on Duke of Gloucester Street in Colonial Williamsburg and I commented how perfect the night was with the stars, food and man.  We were heading for the taverns and after we passed them all he said it was time for the cards.  I didn’t have his but he insisted on giving me mine.  I stood in front of the new coffee house under the lamp post to read his card.  I read the poem he wrote for me inside and placed the card back into the envelope.  He asked if I finished reading it, I said yes.  Well now I have to give you a history lesson.  I had to laugh a bit because I was the history buff between the two of us.  He spoke of the history when the Virginia Gazette was the first newspaper to publish an Acrostical poem on Valentine’s Day in 1768. This love puzzle poem spelled out the intended’s name with the first letter on the left side of each line.  I was told to check the card again.  I opened the card and looked down the left side of the poem and read “WILL YOU MARRY ME”.  When I looked away from the card he was down on his knee with the ring in his hands.  He took my hand and asked “will you marry me?”  “YES!”  I love my ring, He is everything I wanted.  I called my parents and everyone else I knew on the way back to the inn.  When we got to the room there were candles, wine, chocolates and rose petals all over the room.  The next morning the inn had a sign saying congratulations!  It was perfect and the best part is he picked the ring and planned the proposal all on his own! 

Re: A bit late in posting, my proposal story on Valentines Day

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards