September 2012 Weddings
Options

Disappointed

We are 3 days from our RSVP date and missing over 60 people.  A few days ago FI texted his friends (mainly GM we just weren't sure of their significant others) reminding them to get their RSVP in and got almost 100% of them to respond right away (with the only exception his GM who moved so never got the invite).  So, I decided today to do something similar.  Just a text to friends who we are casual with.  We'll formally call relatives and family friends etc after the date.  Well I've gotten a bridesmaid shuffling her feet about money (not surprising though, I've been waiting for her to bail honestly), another friend saying she'd call me tonight but has "bad news," and one actual RSVP.  The RSVP was from a good good friend (so good that she really should be standing up for previously mentioned bridesmaid) and she and her fiance declined.  She alluded it may be difficult because they are in the process of buying a house but I told her that our wedding isn't until 4:30 on a Saturday so they could fly in that morning when no bank would be doing house stuff anyways.  I know rationally when people have to travel or for any reason there is no guarantee of who will attend your wedding.  But, emotionally her not coming actually hurts my feelings a little.  Not in a "I'm not going to speak to her" way or anything where I blame her, just in a "this sucks I wanted to share this day with her way."  I don't want to sound like a brat and know I'll get married and enjoy the company of whoever can make it but without being in the setting yet, it just sucks that my friends aren't going to be there (my only friend of about 30 people to RSVP yes so far is one of my six bridesmaids).  Any one else have a decline that hit them like this?

Re: Disappointed

• Options

I think if they are trying to buy a house...it may be more about the money issue than when the bank is closed. Sorry, but if I were buying a home to live in...saving money for that would trump anyone's wedding except my sister or brother's.

• Options
    Yeah- it's easy to rationally understand (money, lots of energy & time pouring into the house-buying, etc), but it's still emotionally a bit of a hit. 

There's a couple I've known for about 20 years, I was a bridesmaid in their wedding 14 years ago, back when we were all dirt poor and I took unpaid time off work- because I just had a lousy retail job with no vacation time- to travel there for dress shopping, for bachelorette/shower, and finally for the wedding. I really put out a lot of time, energy, and money that I didn't have to support them. And they're not coming. Money's good. Her mom lives a few miles away, as does her brother & his wife, so if they didn't want to fly w/ their 2 kids (elementary school age) to save money, I feel like it would've been pretty easy. Rationally I understand, but emotionally, it stings. 

I'm just trying to set it aside. It helps me to look at the guest list (and at this point the seating chart, whee!), and it just makes me smile to see all the people that will be there, people I'm looking forward to seeing, people who haven't ever met each other but have been important in  my life and it's pretty cool to think they'll get a chance to meet on such a happy day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had a few people flake out on us that we didn't expect which really hurts, but you kind of just have to move on. =/ I had to text every single one of our WP and tell them to send the rsvp back of which I got a bunch of "oh shiiiit, I forgot". Ugh... but, yeah, for the "casual" people (like reall close family, WP, etc) I just texted of Facebooked. Everyone else was called.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_disappointed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:7b0b306c-2aef-4e49-b0c9-580706790151Post:8ccefdb4-acfd-42d2-a834-fdfcd1d5cb42">Re: Disappointed</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if they are trying to buy a house...it may be more about the money issue than when the bank is closed. Sorry, but if I were buying a home to live in...saving money for that would trump anyone's wedding except my sister or brother's.
    Posted by BubbsNBubbs[/QUOTE]

Yep, this.  It does hurt, but take a deep breath and remember it's not about you - it's about them and what they need to do for them right now.  It's no indication on the friendship.  If even my best friend asked me to fly to her wedding right now, I couldn't afford it.  Sometimes you've got to make hard choices.

One of my best friends can't make it because she's having immigration issues and currently living in Venezuela.  She makes lots of money, but because it's a more paternalistic culture, she can only travel when her father tells her that she can.  He flew up her up to DC last weekend for her brother's birthday, but flew her back to Venezuela right afterwards.  She can't stand up to him, because culturally that's not really allowed.  I get it - I'm disappointed, but I'm not upset.  I just promised her I'd watch the video with her when we get it, and we'll talk on the phone after so I can fill her in on all the details.

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_disappointed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:7b0b306c-2aef-4e49-b0c9-580706790151Post:8ccefdb4-acfd-42d2-a834-fdfcd1d5cb42">Re: Disappointed</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if they are trying to buy a house...it may be more about the money issue than when the bank is closed. Sorry, but if I were buying a home to live in...saving money for that would trump anyone's wedding except my sister or brother's.
    Posted by BubbsNBubbs[/QUOTE]

This is kinda funny to me because 6 weeks ago I posted on here how FI was out of work but we were looking to buy a house because renting is more expensive in our area.  And, how bad would it be if I missed one of my BM's wedding Labor Day weekend (she's a Sep 1 bride too yay) because money was tight to fly up there while we had one income, were trying to buy a house, and had a wedding to pay for 4 weeks later.  I was told on this board that if I could afford a house I could afford to make it to my friend's wedding so I needed to figure it out so I could be there or she'd be mad at me.

It struck me as odd then and I certainly don't mean my wedding is more imporatnt than their house.  I'm not mad at my friend or do I see it as a reflection of our friendship.  I was more just wishing I could have all my loved ones there.  Life happens though and I'm blessed to still have many people joining us. 
  • Options
    I hear you. 
    Mine started out with my original MOH getting offered a job in Europe and she leaves tommorow and asked and they would not let her come back after only 20 days at her new position (this all went down in January luckily but still it was a dissappointment). Last month my new MOH called and said she got a new job and could not fly in till Saturday morning and she will most likely miss rehersal. 
    Now freinds that said they would be there are backing out b/c of work related things-um u did put in vaca time correct when u got save the dates, the invite-so that kinda upsets me. Then we have a couple that does not want to drive 4 total hours (2 hrs one way) to the wedding (that is their excuse but I think it is b/c the wife is not very social we tend to hang out with the husband more then her or even them together). Then we have our mutual friends that have not RSVP'd. 
    I am dissappointed but I feel worse for my FI b/c only 2 sets of aunt and uncles are coming none of just his freinds are coming other then GM and his wife-the others are in Canada 

My BM and close freind are flying in from Vegas to chill and hang out 3 days before the wedding so I think that is what is keeping me excited and going.

We invited 180 max # was 125 and we are still wating on 75 RSVP's and it has been 2 weeks since the RSVP deadline and we will probably end up with 100 maybe 110. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards