Maine

Rant!

So when FI and I first got engaged I chose not to ask my younger sister to be a bridesmaid because I felt she would only give me a hard time about everything. My sister is pretty selfish, and can be very cruel at times. I know this sounds like a normal sisterly quarrell but it's more than that. I felt that if I asked my sister she would bail weeks before the wedding among other things.
But I felt very guilty, she is my sister and she is an adult and maybe she would be what I needed her to be. So I asked her and have regretted it ever since. I havent asked much of her, only that she try on dresses. She fought with me over the dress fittings saying that she couldnt fit them into her schedule, then when she finally went to a fitting she told me outright that she wasn't going to wear the dress becuase it was ugly. She insists on wearing stiletto heels when the wedding ceremony is outside on GRASS. Its wearing me down because she told me she WANTED to do this for me but hasn't really acted like it. I really regret asking her and I can't really say anything to her because my family will come down on me about it. I got a 20 minute lecture from my aunt becuase I didn't ask my sister in the first place. I can't trust or depend on my sister even though I wish I could.

Re: Rant!

• edited December 2011
    That's a really lousy position to be in. You would think she would want to do everything she could to help you prepare and go through everything on your day. Maybe you should ask her if this is something she is committed to doing and if she isn't then you'll have to ask her to no longer be in the wedding party.  It's not fair to you or your other bridemaids who are doing everything the can for you.  Even though she is your sister, and there may be hard feelings in the family if she isn't in the wedding party; you just have to decide if you want those hard feelings now or later, because if she's like this now, I can only imagine what she would be like at the wedding.  I wish you the best of luck in dealing with this unfortunate situation.
  • edited December 2011
    That's a totally not fun situation. I have a bridesmaid who is a little bit like that, hasn't been able to commit to doing a lot wedding-wise, so I feel your pain. I had to sit down and talk with her to make sure she really was able to do it. Instead of telling her how she's being difficult, I would just tell her you're worried about the wedding being an obligation, not an enjoyment, and that you don't want to add to her stress if she's so busy. If you frame it as being concerned that it's too stressful for her, and giving her an out because of it, that might go over better. Hopefully it would make her realize she needs to step it up, or it would give her the opportunity to step down if she's really unable to commit the time or the effort. (But of course my BM said she was able and happy to do it, but still hasn't really stepped up...so maybe my advice isn't really that good!).

As for the shoes...let her wear what she wants! She'll be the one looking stupid when she gets stuck in the grass. There are certain things you can control, and things you can't. I know it's frustrating, but it will be better for your stress level if you just accept that she's going to wear whatever shoes she wants and let her pay the consequences!

I hope it gets better!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    100% agreed with MiniMin.
    I had a BM totally back out - she was asked to be in another wedding on the exact same day as mine, and backed out of mine - 7 months into my planning.  We're not friends anymore.
    Stuff like this could totally ruin a relationship, I've heard too many stories.  Don't let her behavior get you down.  But, don't forget, BM's don't HAVE to do anything - nothing. 
    Her reactions are disappointing, no doubt.  Sorry you're going through this.  It seems weddings can bring out the worst in people. 
    Keep your chin up, and keep venting to us, many of us can sympathize. 
  • edited December 2011
    I know she doesn't HAVE to do anything. but, she kinda needs to wear a dress. This is the only thing I have asked her to do and she's fighting me on it. It puts me in a very hard situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards