California-Inland Empire

Cake question

Hello!

I met with the lady that owns this bakery that we love!  They have the best European cakes around here and since I have been going to her for every special event I knew I was going to get my wedding cake from there.  She told me I didn't have to sit down to do a cake tasting or order the cake until maybe a month before the wedding.  This kind of freaked me out a little, it will soon be 2 months till the big day and she still wants to wait! 

Anyways after and the fact that it will be the middle of June, my Fiance suggested maybe getting a the cake from somewhere nearby Redlands since this place is in San Dimas.  He's worried the cake wont make the ride.  Anyways before I start looking I wanted to get an idea how much everyone else is paying for their cake.  Our guest count is about 170 right now.  I read a lot of you mention Michelle's bakery in Redlands, does she charge per person?

Re: Cake question

• desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No she will tell you what size cake to get depending on your guest count.
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • lala90lala90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cake is is costing $460 just to give you an idea of pricing (from a different baker)
  • edited December 2011
    I was quoted about $500 for my 3 tier cake. at Michelle's.  They charge for each embellishment and any add on AND also if each layer is a different flavor.  I was planning to pay that much.  I think my quote was for 150 ppl, mybe 100.  I ended up finding a better deal and got my cake for $300.
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    hmm okay the price she gave me is roughly $500 for 150 people, 4 tier cake and she said I could have all four tiers different flavors for no extra cost.  I just wanted to get an idea what the normal price is. hmm ah getting married is so expensive, I'm just looking forward to the life after it.
  • edited December 2011
    I got my quote back in 2008 so things have changed since then.  The economy wasn't crapping out as much as it is now. 
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting ours with the package of the reception (but it was estimated at $3 per person including cake cutting)... but i had a question for you.. does the banquet/ venue where you're having the recpetion charge you a cake cutting fee?! We were gonna go with an other cake place but they wanted to charge us 1.75 per person for the cake cutting fee...
    they're not mistakes, just learning opportunities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hischiquita!hischiquita! member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I used Tasteful Cakes in Corona. They do beautiful work and their cake is amazingly delicious!!! They are on the pricier side. My cake fed 300 people and it was $1300, but they do have all kinds of different flavors as Michelle's only had the basic chocolate, white or marble bread with fruit filling, and their cake designs are amazing.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    If you are looking for european cakes, Michelle's is an absolutely delicious cake! 
    Michelle's was actually the only vendor of Mission Inn that didn't charge us extra for embellishments, whereas every other vendor (especially the one Jen went with, they wanted to charge us almost $300 extra just for the look we wanted) added on. The only thing that was extra (I have no idea how much Mission Inn paid them for our cake) but for us to upgrade to a european cake was $2/person. 
    They were really flexible and they are really awesome and generous with tastings and they just extended their tasting area with another room. We ended up doing two tastings and were a little upset our Mom's couldn't taste the euro, to see the value in upgrading, so Michelle's mom packed us containers of cake to go!

I actually just ate the european chocolate raspberry cake today and I am dreaming of more :)
  • edited December 2011
    does the banquet/ venue where you're having the recpetion charge you a cake cutting fee?!

No they don't charge us, which I am soo happy for.

Aren't European cakes soo yummy! I love it, now I'm craving it :)
  • edited December 2011

All this cake talk has made me hungry!!!!!!!!

I am actually getting my cake from a fellow knottie!!! He pricing was great & although she is a little far, we loved what she had to offer when we had the tasting so we went with her!!!!

We're paying about 670.00 for a cake to feed about 300... I am ditching cake cutting fees... I'm depending on my bridal party to help me on this one! :o)

• Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I put a deposit in for my cake a few weeks ago and my wedding is in August...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hischiquita!hischiquita! member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I put my deposit in about a month before.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011

First of all-where the hell is Amber?!? How can there be a cake convo without her???

That does seem a little strange to me to wait until a month before the wedding to choose your cake. We did ours almost 5 months before our wedding....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards