Registry and Gift Forum

mystery gifter...

So I made my registry months ago; I've been slowly updating it. I literally was checking it one last time (a shower is coming up in a month) and surprise! two items fulfilled. I was estatic (because they were my first gifts!) and because they were really nice things. So no problem there.
The problem is that I came home today and I have two huge packages full of wedding registry gifts that have no "from" notice or "do not open" notice. The packing slip tells all, though.
But who is it all from?? What am I supposed to do?? Was I even supposed to open the boxes?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: mystery gifter...

• Open the boxes and check to make sure the gifts are not broken.  Write a thank you note right away.  Do you mean that the packing slip says who it's from?  If so, there's your answer.  If it doesn't specifically say it's an engagement or shower gift, assume it's an early wedding gift.  
  • when i said the packing slip tells all, i mean that it tells what's in there. yes, i opened it all and checked it.
    but the slip does not say anything except for what the items are. it does not say the sender or which event they are for.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_mystery-gifter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4179237a-6310-4c2b-9bc0-10701fe734e4Post:97d68ac1-a280-4aeb-9821-4cd25aaf4e9e">Re: mystery gifter...</a>:
    [QUOTE]when i said the packing slip tells all, i mean that it tells what's in there. yes, i opened it all and checked it. but the slip does not say anything except for what the items are. it does not say the sender or which event they are for.
    Posted by LauraleeMarc[/QUOTE]

That sounds like the store might have messed up.  I would call the store to find out who purchased the items.  Some stores have a "thank you list" that you can check online, so that would tell you, too (I haven't found it for BBB or Macy's, but Amazon has it, and I've heard of some other stores that do). 

Once you find out who the gift is from, write a thank you note that is not event-specific.  You wouldn't want to say "thank you for the placemats for my upcoming shower" when the person intended it to be a wedding gift and isn't planning to give an additional wedding gift. 
  • edited April 2011
    You should be able to call a customer service number and explain the situation and they should be able to tell you who the gift is from. I received a couple gifts like that where there was supposed to be gift wrapping and a card with it and the company screwed up and left it out.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• I'm sure you'll take care of finding out who it's from but YAY GIFTS!! 
  • Ditto PPs.  If calling the company or checking to see if your registry includes a thank-you manager doesn't work, you can always ask your parents and your FILs to see if they know if someone bought you something.
  • Ditto PPs, give the company a call! Since your registered there they should understand your situation.
  • Macy's has a way to figure out who sent a gift... I don't know about other places. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_mystery-gifter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4179237a-6310-4c2b-9bc0-10701fe734e4Post:0b5703cb-925d-447a-8851-236d7eeb5ea3">Re: mystery gifter...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Macy's has a way to figure out who sent a gift... I don't know about other places. 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

You mean when you're looking at your registry online?  Can you elaborate?
  • Yea for getting gifts!  Call customer service, they should be able to help you. Or, contact whoever is in charge of the registry at the store where the gifts are from - they can tell you if there is a way to check the website to see who the gift is from.
  • Every family has one of those people who talks about everything and anything to everyone and anyone.  I call her nosy Aunt Matilda while DH has a nosy cousin Sue.  In this case resource nosy Aunt Matilda and nosy cousin Sue and tell them all about the mystery gift and how the store did not include a gift card and you need to send a thank you and don't know who to thank..

Aunt Matilda and cousin Sue came through for me when calling the store did not. 
  • LOL @ Magdala9 LOVE it! It's sooooooooooooo true tho!
  • The same thing happened to me.  It happened to be at Bed Bath and Beyond so I called the store right away and they tracked the package back to who bought it.  As long as there is somesort of tracking number on the package they can find out who it is from! 

But YAY for gifts, that was such an exciting time :)
  • If it happens to be Macys, they do have a Thank You Card Manager that tells you who bought what.  It's under Registry Manager
  • So I know it's been a while, but I finally found out who it is!! I did everything you ladies said, but the gifts came from Target, and apparently their policy is "No, we can't tell you because it's a security risk." Oh well. So I was just waiting it out. Yesterday my grandmother called and told me that my mom's cousin sent it all! So hooray for confessions, lol. My thank you card goes out today.
    Ps: I would definitely not register with target if I were to do it all over again. Not solely because of this experience, but it's just been bad so far and I'm not even through with it all.
    Thanks for all the good advice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards