Michigan-Detroit

Mocad wedding?

I'm newly engaged and starting the process of looking at venues. I seem to be having the same problem as other brides in that I really dislike the "banquet hall" look.

I've already looked into the Tplex and although I absolutely love it, the 35 dollars a person and the 160 guest limit is really getting me down. Not to mention the lack of heating and cooling. :(

I've always loved Mocad, but I'm not seeing anything about pricing or even a ballpark figure for around 200 people on their site or any other sites.

Has anyone inquired about mocad pricing before? I know I can probably email them to get the ball rolling but my wedding is still quite a ways away (may 2014) and I'm really just trying to figure out budgets for what I'm interested in right now.

Thanks guys!!!

Re: Mocad wedding?

• edited October 2012
    The price is based on how many hours you want to rent the space and white spaces you want to rent. The Cafe area is where the food and most of the reception would take place, and there are three additional galleries. To rent the entire museum for 5 hours, it is $6,250. When we were looking into it, we were thinking to rent the Cafe for the 5 hours and the galleries for 2 hours, which worked out to be $3,700. It is totally customizable, and you really pay for what you want. Also, there is a $25/hour/security guard fee. 

Some other things: They do have limited chairs (I think around 120?) and tables that they let you use. Parking is available, but it is on a dirt lot and valet would cost about $700. Just wanted to mention that because I could see it being a mess if it rained a lot. Also, I'm not sure if you have looked at pictures online or seen the place in person, but those huge globes on the ceiling about an extra $900. There is a list of preferred vendors, and from what I can tell, seem to be a wide range of price ranges. 

We have strongly considered this place (and FI still loves it!), but it seemed like quite a bit of money when it came down to it and there were spaces that we liked more for about the same amount. But I will say, out of all of the places that we have contacted, they have been by far the most flexible and easiest to work with. Let me know if you have any questions!

Oh, and I'm not sure how much you have looked into it yet, but I love these photos from a wedding there: http://www.agirlinlove.com/heretoday/2010/08/sharon-and-gerald-wedding/
  • Thank you! This is so helpful!
  • I really wanted the MOCAD as well but given what chadandsarah said above, we just couldn't justify the cost.

also, when we met with leto, he told us that the cafe could only comfortable sit 176 and that after dinner we would have to break down tables and turn that area into the dance floor. which therefore meant we had to rent a gallary so that our guests could do something while it was reconfigured. i couldnt actually believe they were going to charge us to rent a gallery so that that could happen.

we ended up at the colony club.
  • Yeah the price really does sound up there, but I still think I want to look into it. My fiancé is a little weary of doing anything downtown because all of our family will be coming from out of state and we don't want to scare them with a downtown detroit wedding. We've lived here for 5 years, but my family and his have never been here and are a little nervous haha. I just really love the exposed brick walls and concrete or hard wood floors look and it's so hard to find that style around here.
  • oh yes, we have received a lot of backlash having our wedding downtown. i'm at the point now where i am ready to tell my MIL that anyone who doesnt want to go downtown shouldn't attend.

best of luck, and i look forward to hearing whether you choose it.
  • zantsterzantster member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_mocad-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:66437dfb-f5e4-4289-ace7-ab2013f08048Post:159065d7-0598-4bbd-9972-262943df03e7">Re: Mocad wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh yes, we have received a lot of backlash having our wedding downtown. i'm at the point now where i am ready to tell my MIL that anyone who doesnt want to go downtown shouldn't attend. best of luck, and i look forward to hearing whether you choose it.
    Posted by rebeccamuba[/QUOTE]

The colony club is gorgeous!!  I'm sure your fam and friends will be totally wowed once they get in there.  And plus it's in an area that is truly the safest part of the city near the stadiums and all.  We had thought about that place as well but they were booked until November 2013.  And also I was set on having the reception place also be a hotel for transportation and OOT convenience and not be as busy as downtown Detroit can be on a Saturday night in September when the Tigers are still playing.  I'm just way too much of a worry wart to handle it.  So we went with the Royal Park hotel in Rochester.
  • yes, we have a Nov. 2nd wedding there.. we didnt want to put off the wedding till 2014 so... i was hoping for an off season discount but that doesnt seem to apply anywhere!

Royal Park is beautiful!

Have you chosen your DJ yet? <--- I'm on the hunt!
  • Yup.  We went with Randy Parker from Mike Staff.  I know it's cliched but their reviews interested me and I made notes of which MS DJ was used in the review.  Me and FI went into their comfy offices and watched video after video of different DJs.  Then we chose Randy who's super cool.  I periodically check the vendor review sticky on this board and he just got a great review from a recent wedding.  Their best DJs on staff get scooped up quick.  I spoke to an Elite Entertainment rep and looked at Music Box as well, which are both similar in their marketing approach and allowing you to see videos.  But again I just went with what felt right.  Plus, almost every single vendor is no more than 20-30 minutes away.  We live in Royal Oak so the church is in RO, the florist is in ferndale, the DJ is in Troy.  The furthest one is probably our photographer Amanda Williams in Dearborn but we don't need to go there more than the once the way you do with flowers and decor.  I'm PM'ing you my email address in case you need more info ok?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards