Second Weddings

Special gift for the kids

This is both of our 2nd marriages, and I have 4 children.  My two oldest (10 & 9) are going to be the junior bridesmaid and junior groomsman.  My two youngest (5 &4) are the flowergirl and ring bearer.  We are getting gifts for the wedding party.  We want to get the kids something special but I don't have a clue what to get them.  Knowing my kids, they would love a toy or a Wii game but that's not special at all.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  The wedding is October. 

Thanks!

Re: Special gift for the kids

• edited December 2011
    We got our 3 the same thing as the rest of the WP.  After everyone goes home that night we will give them our gifts.  FI got my daughter a snowglobe and had it encraved with a special message and I got the two of his kids something that can be engraved.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

I almost always want to get gifts that will have meaning throughout their lives, but I'm a big sentimental slob and love things that have been passed through the family, etc.

Their ages make this tough unless you want to get them something for now, and save something for later when they grow up. Our kids are older: fiance has 2 adults, 1 teenaged daughter, I have an adult son, teenaged daughter. We are getting monogrammed gifts and/or claddagh rings or pendants. I love the symbolism in the claddagh, which is a heart held by 2 hands. It's our way of telling them we will do our part to hold them and their lives in a sacred way. 

Perhaps you could get them something symbolic to keep until they grow older? Plus, something they'd like now. Just a thought.

Good luck.  

• edited December 2011

I am not a fan of meaningful gifts for children who are too young to take care of or appreciate the gift.  "Here's a present, now give it back for safekeeping" is no present at all in a child's mind.   Both of my kids were in the wedding party, DD got jewelry, DS got a skateboard gift cert.  They were teens at the time. 

With the age difference between the kids, you really can't give the little ones something to play with and the older ones a meaningful gift (unless cries of "no fair!" are what you are looking for.)  ~Donna

• melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why is a video game or toy not "special?"  It's something they want, it's from you (as a couple), and it's a gift for being in the wedding.  Bingo - all the components for being something special!

Get them what they'd lilke right now, not what you think they'd like to look back on in 20 years.  They are kids - no matter how excited they are about the wedding or being in the wedding , in the end they are kids and they like games and toys.  Nothing will make them happier than getting an  unexpected treat that is something they would have picked out themselves.

This is coming from another Mother of four, by the way. ;)

Good luck and congratulations!
    10-10-10
  • edited December 2011
    We have been together more than 5 years and during this time, we've been buying  bunch of things to both of our teenagers kids; the four of us are perfectly integrated and functioning pretty much as a family even though FI and I don't live together, our kids have their own rooms in each other houses. We traveled together here and abroad, spend most of the holidays together and even our cell phones are in the same account.....so, we decided that we will make this day just about the two of us. Of course we will have gifts for the wedding party and once they are in, they will have a gift (pretty much something that they want) but that's it!!!!
  • edited December 2011

Our 2nd wedding is in Oct. He has a boy & 2 girls, I have one of each - all are under 12. The kids are our only bridal party and we're incorporating them into the cermony too. The girls will each be getting the same necklace (a birthstone pendant, so still unique to each one) and the boys are getting silver pocket watches with their mongram. They've been very involved in the wedding planning too, they're all just as excited as we are!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards