Texas-Austin

$5,000 wedding. Can it be done?

My fiance and I are paying for our wedding ourselves (my parents are purchasing dress). We're limited on funds due to being in school. We're not looking to get married until January 2013. I've been looking at Austin venues like crazy and feel I've looked at so many they're a blur. Our favoirte is Allan House, but we're not sure we can afford it. We're not opposed to Friday or Sundays either. Any ideas, tips or budget friendly location ideas (other than chapel Dulcinea). Thanks, knoties!

Re: $5,000 wedding. Can it be done?

• edited December 2011
    www.heritageoaksclubhouse.com

This place rents for 800 I believe.
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly, a lot will be determined on how big you are planning your wedding to be.  If your guest list is rather small, and you don't anticipate doing a full reception with food and everything else, you could probably make this work within your budget.  I did a lot of searching for venues as well but never really found anything I liked that was priced low enough to fit a smaller budget like yours.  The one thing that is great is your timeline for getting married - you will have plenty of time to research and consider options before you have to lock in someplace.  Congrats on your engagement and I hope you get lots of suggestions on the boards.  
  • rerawaltrerawalt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP, it will really depend on how big and inclusive you want your wedding to be.  If you guest list is small and you have an appetizer and dessert reception this will cut down on cost.  Nonfloral and DIY centerpieces have the possibility of being a lot cheaper.  Friday and Sunday will cut down on cost though read the fine print becuase if you pick a holiday weekend, that can sometimes increase the price.  Some people do ipods instead of DJs etc...  I would suggest figuring out what is most important to you and what you can do without and work from there.  Before you pick a venue you want to make sure you know your budget and number of people you want invited.  Good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies! We're looking to do just family and keep it around 50 guests. With such a small wedding that's why 2,500 for a location only seems a litle much. If we were having a larger wedding I feel it'd be more fitting, but we're not.

I had not seen the Heritage Oaks Clubhouse in my days of searching! It looks nice and quite affordable, thank you!
  • edited December 2011
    Yes it can be done and with the small guest list you have you shouldnt have to cut back to much in to many areas! I would suggest using the time you have to bargain shop. Things that you can get on sale after holidays will help you out as well. I know for me just having time to shop around for the best price has saved me a ton. Also if you are crafty look into some DIY options. They can be a ton of fun to do, will give your wedding a personal touch, and will also save you money. If you need any help feel free to PM me and make sure you check out the DIY board there are a TON of helpful crafty ladies on there. Good luck HTH.
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • edited December 2011
    DIY can be costly if you have no idea what you are doing. All the messing up and such. Can not tell you how many cute DIY ideas I have had, that have not worked out so well. ahahah that is just my bad luck though. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Once again, thanks. I plan to do a lot of DIY type projects and hopefully come out ahead on that cost wise. I have a feeling finding a venue that's budget friendly and not over spending for 50 people is going to be the problem. I'm going to make an excel sheet with all of them I find in my price range and mark the pros and cons of each and hopefully narrow it down to my best bet.

If anyone has any more venue suggestions feel free :) Mercury Hall is looking like a good possibility for now.
  • rerawaltrerawalt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked into Mansion at Judges Hill?  They are pricy on Sat but on Fri or Sunday it would run 750-2000 depending on the day, time and room you wanted.  They have been really great to work with so far.

PM me when you get to cakes too, I found a really really reasonable cake person in Leander.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with BBNT that messing up DIY can cost extra but again feel free to PM me or check my bio and anything im doing I can give suggestions or if im not can get them for you from other DIY knotties. They really help to eliminate mess ups LOL.
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • nroach78nroach78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are on similar budget with about 50 people as well. We ended up researching restaurants. Lots cheaper and they already have linens, chairs, etc. Ours even has centerpieces.

• may2005may2005 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Caswell House.   It's pretty, historical, and quite reasonably priced.  Also, I have heard of weeknight weddings, and they charge $900 plus furniture rental for Monday - Thursday weddings.  Friday & Sundays are $1150. 

When we got married there, we had 50 guests.  Although we hired a caterer, the venue will also allow you to self-cater and bring in your own food that could cut costs.  We also brought in our own alcohol by shopping during sales which saved alot of money.

Go to bridal shows & book your vendors there.  Many offer show discounts if you book with them while attending the show.

Good luck !!
  • edited December 2011
    Texas Old Town books off season (dec-feb) for $2050 for Saturday, $1650 for friday and $1350 for sunday. Tables and chairs included. Really nice looking place. You get the place all day and can even decorate the day before. IDK where in Austin you're at, north or south, but they're in Kyle, 10 mins south of austin. I'm booked for next May :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat!  Trying to do it for under $5k while still have a cool hill country rustic venue.  Any other venue ideas!  I'm trying to do it for about 100 people though!  yikes!
  • edited December 2011
    Alright ladies, we've pretty much decided on Mercury Hall. We're looking to do it on a Friday next August. The next snag we've run into is a photographer. Photos are important to me and it seems nothing is below 2000 hardly. So far my top choices are Blackerby Photography and AL Collective. I know they have great reviews from fellow Austin Knotties so it sets my mind at ease, but are there any other suggestions in this under 2k pricerange?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards