Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

honest opinions please, my vow

(Grooms name) When you found me I was drowning sinking into a darkness that I thought iwould never get out of. I pushed you away and no matter what I did you continued to tear down the walls that protected my heart. you eventually became my heart, strong and loving, so sure and determined that we belong together. I didn't think that I deserved a second chance, you showed me differently, you make me feel worthy. promises can be broken, so I will not promise. I will decide for today and everyday to love you unconditionally and undeniably until eternity. I will always be carried away by you. (The carried away part is from our song.) Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Re: honest opinions please, my vow

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_honest-opinions-please-my-vow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:ae53db35-9aaf-4ced-a7f0-2ca9e468d855Post:adeb6acf-8243-4fa1-9eab-06a6ded25ffb">honest opinions please, my vow</a>:
    [QUOTE](Grooms name)<strong> When you found me I was drowning sinking into a darkness that I thought iwould never get out of. I pushed you away and no matter what I did you continued to tear down the walls that protected my heart.</strong> you eventually became my heart, strong and loving, so sure and determined that we belong together. I didn't think that I deserved a second chance, you showed me differently, you make me feel worthy. promises can be broken, so I will not promise. I will decide for today and everyday to love you unconditionally and undeniably until eternity. I will always be carried away by you. (The carried away part is from our song.) Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
    Posted by 4weeman[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Bolded part is quite depressing and probably not appropriate for vows.</div><div>
    </div><div>Maybe something more like "Your love and determination has made my heart strong." to start off with and leave out the bolded part?

</div>
  • Options
    Not only is it a little dark, it's not really a vow -- you come right out and say that you won't promise, but that's what a vow is -- a promise. 

It would make a nice toast at the reception.
  • Options
    Well, I ordinarily don't like to critique vows, but you did ask.

I just think they're more appropriate for a letter that you might want to exchange with your husband the morning of the wedding and then stick with something a bit less in depth for the actual ceremony vows.  I like PPs suggestion about telling him that he brought light and and joy into your heart and eventually became your heart.  Then I'd promise to make the conscious choice everyday to love him and keep him in your heart.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_honest-opinions-please-my-vow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:ae53db35-9aaf-4ced-a7f0-2ca9e468d855Post:2eefb327-2070-437b-a37c-ed0176f05bd3">Re: honest opinions please, my vow</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, I ordinarily don't like to critique vows, but you did ask. I just think<strong> they're more appropriate for a letter that you might want to exchange with your husband the morning of the wedding and then stick with something a bit less in depth for the actual ceremony vow</strong>s.  I like PPs suggestion about telling him that he brought light and and joy into your heart and eventually became your heart.  Then I'd promise to make the conscious choice everyday to love him and keep him in your heart.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking. 

Promises can be broken and so marriages can end in divorce.  Just because other people have done it before doesn't mean you should ever intend to.  Point: a promise can be broken only by people choosing to do so.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    Thank you for your help ladies! I am trying! A little background, this is my second marriage. We always say we won't promise because promises are broken, so that part is personal. I will fix the beginning, I'm a dark and ominous person, can't help it :) Glad I asked before I made an ass of myself!
  • Options
    The beginning part I wouldnt use or maybe change it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar image
  • Options

I agree with pp's about parts of it being kinda dark....as for not promising..thats what marriage is...a promise to do everything in your power to make a relationship work...if not that..what is marraige? A vow is a promise, if you dont want to make promises, sorry to be harsh, but I dont understand the point of getting married...yes promises hurt like hell when they are broken, but getting married is a promise between 2 people to commit to eachother...so you might want to think long and hard about getting married if you dont beleive in promises....

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards