Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Distant family or good friends

I'm in a sticky situation.  We're having a VERY small wedding and our venue will only hold about 50 guests comfortably.  We have 87 on our guest list.  I know some will not be able to make it, BUT--should i invite family of my FH I've only met once or twice.  We've been together 11 years! We have many close friends we've had to scratch off our list that I'd rather invite but FH is worried about hurting his mothers feelings since its her family we'd be cutting off the list.  What do you think???  I have a VERY small family, only 2, so there is nothing to cut on my side.
THANKS!!!

Re: Distant family or good friends

• Options
    First, you should invite only 50 (or 48 if that count includes you and your FI).

I think you and your FI need to come up with a plan for the "must" invites.  If he's comfortable leaving off the distant family then go with what he says.
  • Options
    Whether you have met them is irrelevant if your FI thinks he's close enough to invite them.  He needs to be the one to make that decision.  You can't just say "well I'd rather invite our friends over his family" and do it, because it's not just your wedding.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    If your venue can only comfortably hold 50, you can only invite 50.  Inviting more than your venue can hold is a certain recipe for disaster.  The "distant family vs. friends" debate is something that really varies from couple to couple.  You and your FI are just going to have to talk this out until you can get that guest list down.  If you can't possibly cut it down further, find a bigger venue.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards