Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

How long to wait for digital negatives?

I found my dream photographer, but I have to wait a year to get the printing rights to all of my wedding photos. I do get a $250 print credit to print pics right away and I could get the rights to the pics in 8-10 weeks, but it costs an extra $500. Does this seem strange to have to wait a year? I understand this is the way photographers make money (people buying prints), but I want to make my own wedding album to save money. Thoughts?! Thanks!

Re: How long to wait for digital negatives?

• Options
    This is actually a pretty standard way to operate. Think about when weddings were shot with film cameras, the couples almost never got the actual negatives, and if they did there was a rather steep buyout price. Because yes, you are cutting off that photographers line of income. But also, because you are not only purchasing the images themselves, you are also purchasing the "Rights/Usage License" to continually be able to use though images. 

No, not all wedding photographers operate this way, but there is nothing odd about a photographer using this particular business model. As with everything it comes down to the individual photographers preference on how they choose to run their business.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards