Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Quickie Photography?

I know that if you attatch the word wedding to something usually the price jumps through the roof. 

I don't really want a wedding with people staring at me, just the thought of it makes me anxioius. I just want to be married to him. He'd like to celebrate with friends so in the spirit of compromise I'm hatching a plan that invovles 10 minutes with a JOP on a beach followed by a beachside BBQ that will be billed as an engagement party and then "oh btw we got hitched before you guys got here". 

I want a photographer, not for the party, I'm going for super casual with that, but for the ceremony and maybe for a few shots after. So about an hour if I'm being generous, but I'd like to allow for set up time in there because even standing in front of a camera for an hour sounds positively daunting to me. I do want tangible memories of our wedding though and they just might be what stops my mother from killing me. 

The delima I'm having here is I'm not sure how to approach photographers about this. Is the short amount of time just not worth it to them? This will be on a Saturday in the Summer which I guess is prime wedding season and they could probably be making a bundle at an all day affair. 

My fiance told me to just book a shoot for engagement pictures and either say hold on one sec and spend 10 minutes with the JOP and come back or see if they wouldn't mind snapping a few shots of the "ceremony". I feel like that kind of trickery is bad karma though. 

Is this the kind of situation where I just need to reach out and see what happens because every photographer will react differently? 

Re: Quickie Photography?

• Just be honest with them, tell them that you want an "elopement package" of sorts. Just the JOP ceremony and portraits. Be prepared for there to be a minimum coverage time, and also you will have a better chance at getting a good deal if you do this on a weekday or at least not on a Saturday. Not very many photographers are going to give up potentially shooting a full wedding on a Saturday (the most booked wedding day) for a 1-2 hour job. 

Keep in mind that "trickery" or being dishonest about the type of shoot will likey void your contract with the photographer legally not having to refund any money to you. 
  • shoreshotz1shoreshotz1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I think you could find the right photographer but you should be honest about your budget and you plans.  Ask around and people will help. 
  • I'm a wedding photographer myself, and if I had to choose between doing your wedding, or an 8 hour wedding, I would go with the latter. You explained it yourself, how it's just better for us to be booked for more time. Not to say that your photos wouldn't be worth shooting. I've seen quick elopments, with professional photographers, and the photos are awesome. What I would do is look for a retired photographer, or find someone maybe 2-3 months in advance. That way, the probability of them being booked on such a short notice for a whole day gig will be dim.

I hope that helps, and best wishes.
  • <div>Hi</div><div>
    </div><div>You just need to reach out and see where you get. There will always be a student or amatuer looking to take a few dollars whilst also building their portfolio. The balance you need to strike is making it worthwhile for these guys in terms of them getting decent images - unless they are happy to take the couple of hours pay irrespective. </div><div>
    </div><div>If building a portfolio is key to them then I would consider allowing them to photograph the party also - they get more images for their portfolio and you get more of a complete story of the day captured. Probably for not too much more money - assuming it is an amatuer or pro starting out. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think that's your best bet to be honest, but i would still email a couple of 'affordable' pros in your area just in case. Always be honest - don't try the engagement shoot trick, that;s hardly the way to build trust with someone you want capturing the special moments!</div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_quickie-photography?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:dc592b55-37a9-4f38-a04c-c660b4a2a7a7Post:b8829cbb-2c2f-402c-910f-acc1169709dd">Quickie Photography?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that if you attatch the word wedding to something usually the price jumps through the roof.  I don't really want a wedding with people staring at me, just the thought of it makes me anxioius. I just want to be married to him. He'd like to celebrate with friends so in the spirit of compromise I'm hatching a plan that invovles 10 minutes with a JOP on a beach followed by a beachside BBQ that will be billed as an engagement party and then "oh btw we got hitched before you guys got here".  I want a photographer, not for the party, I'm going for super casual with that, but for the ceremony and maybe for a few shots after. So about an hour if I'm being generous, but I'd like to allow for set up time in there because even standing in front of a camera for an hour sounds positively daunting to me. I do want tangible memories of our wedding though and they just might be what stops my mother from killing me.  The delima I'm having here is I'm not sure how to approach photographers about this. Is the short amount of time just not worth it to them? This will be on a Saturday in the Summer which I guess is prime wedding season and they could probably be making a bundle at an all day affair.  My fiance told me to just book a shoot for engagement pictures and either say hold on one sec and spend 10 minutes with the JOP and come back or see if they wouldn't mind snapping a few shots of the "ceremony". I feel like that kind of trickery is bad karma though.  Is this the kind of situation where I just need to reach out and see what happens because every photographer will react differently? 
    Posted by Cact525[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards