October 2012 Weddings

Invitation postage

I took my invitations tot he post office today to figure out how many millions of dollars it is going to cost me to mail them. I must say, I am pleasantly surprised!!! I have a 5 x 7 pocketfold with a double layer invitation and 4 inserts and it only weighed 1.8oz. So....$0.65 each. Not horrible.

Next issue...I have RSVP postcards. I thought it was a great idea because I would save on postage. Well...apparently the ONLY $0.32 postcard stamps in circulation right now are HORRIBLE, bright hawaiian shirt stamps that say "ALOHA" on them. We are going to Hawaii for our honeymoom, but I cannot bring myself to put these stamps on my formal invitations. I just can't.

So...my only other option is to do the print your own postage thing or order custom stamps. Because my invitations don't weigh as much as I thought, I've somehow convinced myself that custom postage is a good idea. So...I headed over to Zazzle.com and found the most beautiful Savannah, GA stamps with the fountain from Forsyth Park on them (we are getting married in the park).

What would have cost us $0.97 per invitation ($0.65 for invitation + $0.32 for the postcard RSVP) is now costing us $1.95 per invitation. We only have 80 invitations to send out, so at the end of the day we are paying an extra $78 in postage to have beautiful stamps. Although I am surprised I have talked myself into this, I feel like there are more ridiculous things I have spent money on during the course of this wedding planning. Another $78 isn't the end of the World.

FYI...I found a coupon code for 12% off at Zazzle.com if anyone else is considering custom stamps.  The code is: ZCABINSUMMER

How much is your postage?
October 2012 Board: June Siggy

Re: Invitation postage

• Could you just use a regular stamp that you liked on the post cards? It would cost a little extra, but probably less than doing custom postage.  I had to use the Aloha stamps for my STD's and I was super thrilled.  I just went with it because it was only a STD card, but I do remember debating just using regular stamps.
    Photobucket
  • We are doing postcards for our rsvp too.  When I sent out our STD postcards, I laughed when all they had were Aloha ones.  Ultimately, I am not spending an extra $0.10 each to have a forever stamp on them.  The whole point was to save a little cash.  I figure no one will remember what the stamp looks like when they mail it in.

• We went with the ALOHA postcard for our RSVPs, too. The USPS really thought it could screw over all us brides by making postcard stamps the ugliest thing in the world this year, didn't they? Just because we're all trying to save a buck. ;)

On the plus side, I like this year's "Love" stamps, and they match my colors. Win!
    Anniversary
  • I'm doing RSVP postcards too. I didn't know about the ALOHA stamps. That is not going to work with our RSVPs . . . bummer.
    172 Invited. image
    130 Accepted. image
    42 Declined. image
    0 Can't find the mailbox. imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I did custom stamps and they worked out to be $1.13 each. Normally postage within Canada is $0.67 regular mail. Americans have it cheap.
    Anniversary
  • I spent 0.85 per invite (140 altogether) and got them from zazzle for $215 which was $4 cheaper than if i got them at the post office. Mine have callalillies on them and say Fall Wedding!

For my rsvps, i have actual envelopes w/ inserts not postcards and i just used the forever "wedding" stamp on those, i didnt even weigh them to see if i could get them cheaper, oh well its too late now. My mother is paying for my postage so maybe thats why i dont care=)

• We just got our postage and I left it up to FI and because ours has a bow it costs more...85 cents...the 85 cent stamps the post office had are birds of prey....he thought this was fine...then the lady asked if we wanted love or rose forever stamps for the RSVP...really? Does it matter at this point? So my invites have birds of prey on them (they look really mean!) and rose stamps on the inside! 
    for siggy
  • In Response to Re:Invitation postage:[QUOTE]I did custom stamps and they worked out to be 1.13 each. Normally postage within Canada is 0.67 regular mail. Americans have it cheap. Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

Amen to that! I was so worried about invitations being more than our regular postage. Lurking on the invites board they complain about them being 68 cents... Normal postage for us!! Currently the Canadian forever stamps are snowshoe hares. Not exactly ideal but I got them at costco and not willing to pay extra for custom or wedding postage.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • In Response to Re:Invitation postage:[QUOTE]We went with the ALOHA postcard for our RSVPs, too. The USPS really thought it could screw over all us brides by making postcard stamps the ugliest thing in the world this year, didn't they? Just because we're all trying to save a buck. ;On the plus side, I like this year's "Love" stamps, and they match my colors. Win! Posted by lehc723[/QUOTE]

I had the same thought about the "love" stamps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards