California-Northern

How do I find a wedding planner (Monterey/Carmel area)?

My s.o. and I are looking to get married in May 2012 somewhere around Carmel. We live in Illinois and I have no interest in planning a wedding, so between those two factors I'm hoping to find someone who will take a cheque and organize everything for us. (I'm not fussy; I don't care about colors or center pieces or bridesmaids uniforms or any of that stuff.)

I've no idea how to go about finding someone, though, and would welcome personal recs or internet resources with reviews or other info. We will be in the area in July and had planned to look at a few venues (we're not religious, so we're thinking hotels with beach access or nice views where we could have the ceremony and reception both) but I don't know if I should be arranging a planner in advance of all that. Fiance is willing to spend up to $20,000 while I'd like to spend as little as possible and still have something charming. I was hoping to keep it at $12,000 or under (because even that seems like too much to spend on a party) but that may be completely unrealistic. We're inviting 60 people, expect about 40 to show up.

Alternatively, if you know of some venue in the area that you would recommend, I'd love to hear it. We're flying pretty blind, with just google as a guide.

Re: How do I find a wedding planner (Monterey/Carmel area)?

• edited December 2011
    I am a planner, but not located near that area.  I found my planner/DOC by accident and she was INCLUDED in the venue (she is the owner).  I say call venues  you seem interested in and talk to them.  Once you find the venue or a couple choices ask them if they can recommend someone.  This way you have someone familiar with the venue and it will go smoother.  I was so overwhelmed when I started planning/gathering ideas.  Once I found my venue everything seemed to almost fall into place.  Good luck and I can't imagine having to plan it from thousands of miles away but you will do great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Also what made you choose that area?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks. I'll call a couple of the venues I have bookmarked from the internet and see if they have a planner attached.

I'm from California and my grandmother is too old to fly, so it has to be car-accessible from their home in the Bay Area. I have fond memories of the Monterey/Carmel area from childhood and it's sentimental to me. It was also the first trip my s.o. and I took together.
  • olywillisolywillis member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried weddingwire.com? I found my officiant that way.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-northern_wedding-planner-montereycarmel-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:56Discussion:930a4cc9-0524-448b-89b7-74197e23877fPost:4241d086-7206-4252-a6f5-a49319c6b108">Re: How do I find a wedding planner (Monterey/Carmel area)?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks. I'll call a couple of the venues I have bookmarked from the internet and see if they have a planner attached. I'm from California and my grandmother is too old to fly, so it has to be car-accessible from their home in the Bay Area. I have fond memories of the Monterey/Carmel area from childhood and it's sentimental to me. It was also the first trip my s.o. and I took together.
    Posted by alittleoaktree[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Aww that's awesome!  Good luck with the venue search..it will all work out :)

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Have you asked your venue for recommendations? I found some of my vendors that way.
  • aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Craigslist?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • EastBayChickEastBayChick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's your best bet. All have been pre-screened and are top-notch.

mbwep.com
  • edited December 2011
    Our budget and guest list are similar to yours, and we also are planning it from across the country. We went with Gatherings for our ceremony/reception. They take care of nearly everything. No need to decorate or buy centerpieces because their Victorian home is immaculate and beautiful. They also provide glassware/plates/staff/bartender/no cake cutting fee. BYO alcohol, so you save there.  They also include a day-of coordinator and an attendant at the ceremony (we are having ours at Berwick Park). They provide a good checklist and timeline so they make sure to include the aspects that you want and keep things on schedule. We'll see how it goes on July 9!

We are not using a wedding coordinator because we just didn't want to spend the money on something like that. Although we have spent probably more time than we would have like screening all our vendors online, then flying out a couple times to meet with them (a personal choice, we just wanted to feel really comfortable with our officiant, wedding photographer, and try the cakes and food!) BTW, if you can't do a cake tasting and value taste over looks, Bechler is hands-down the baker to choose :) Layers Cakes are beautiful but we thought all their samples tasted dry and awful.

I have heard good things about Amy Byrd. There are many wedding coordinators listed on wedding wire. Also, check out yelp for reviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards