Registry and Gift Forum
Options

BBB or Macy's??

So I've heard lots of bad things about Macy's so I kind of wrote them off (I heard that they were more expensive, discontinued a lot of stuff, etc).  However, I recently read that they carry a lot of the same stuff as BBB, which is where we originally going to register.  However, BBB doesn't have a lot of bedding choices, which is something that we really really want to register for...so I am now thinking maybe Macy's instead?  How was your experience at either store?  For the record, we're also registering at C&B, but I think their bedding might be a little out of the price range that we want.  With Macy's/BBB there are usually lots of coupons.
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: BBB or Macy's??

• Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    We chose Macy's over BBB.  The deciding factor for us was the registry benefits.  Macy's gives you 10% back on all your own purchases with a macy's card from the time you register until a few months after your wedding (a couple exclusions apply, but they aren't major), and they give you 5% back on what people spend on your registry.  Macy's is so common in my circle that it tends to be the first place people think to look.  So we have china, etc. there.  It's true that they discontinue things now and then, but every store does.  Despite that, they still carry a broader selection of pieces of our china, flatware, etc. than BBB does.  They also offer free shipping for purchases over $100, while BBB nearly always requires you to pay for shipping.  And yes, their "sale" prices are BBB's standard prices - but the sales occur nearly every week, and on some special weeks (like this week!) the prices go even lower.

It's really up to you, but we've been pleased so far with Macy's.  I know other posters on here love BBB.  I would go with the place that's the best fit, product/benefit-wise.  For us, that was Macys.

EDIT: if Macy's discontinues something, don't delete it off your list right away.  Give it a few weeks to see if it comes back in stock.  My gravyboat comes and goes, and is there about half the time.  We're keeping it on there because it's the only gravy boat that matches that china pattern, so even if it's "out of stock" when somebody wants to buy it, they'll at least be able to see that it's the gravy boat from the lenox pearl platinum line, and they can find it elsehere, like amazon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    We registered at both and had good experiences at both.  Both stores let us return things that we registered for and then discovered were low quality after we received and began using them (like a cocktail shaker that rusted quickly).

As a guest, I prefer to buy from Macy's.  They have frequent sales with big discounts (I purchased two $186 place settings for $150 total during one of their sales), and I think they're free shipping over $99--I hate paying for shipping.
  • Options
    We went with Macy's and so far so good
  • Options
    We are doing Macys, Crate and Barrel, and Bed, Bath and Beyond.   They all have been really good and Macy's has been pretty popular.   We registered for towels there as well as bedding and the quality is really great.   I think having the 3rd option will be appreciated by your guests since mine have kept telling me they loved that we had different options.
  • Options
    We did BBB, C&B and Macys,

I have had two showers so far and one more to come this week.  I think all three are great solutions.  I did my everyday plates, pitchers, platters and fun decorative items at c&B.  Macy's and BBB are both a mix with every pirce point.  I found that people love choices and I made sure I gave them lots of choices at every price point.  I have gotten many things and it is quite amazing how generouse people are.  At my shower I got a few items (cuisnart griddle, professional rice cooker) that were high ticket that I forsure thought they were wedding gifts.  I was super happy!  bbb has nice outdoor items that macy's does not like a cooler, resonabily prices outdoorr furniture. 

I would do both BBB and Macy's.  For my China we did BBB since they have coupons are are generally priced cheaper already then compared to Macys.  

My only piece of advise is to give folks lots choices! 

***Another note:  My f and I have lived together for 4 years however both of us were dirt poor so must of our stuff is crapy, old so it is in need of an update.  Plus this is a chance for us to get entertaining items for the house.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We registered at both. Bed Bath and Beyond stopped carrying all of my knives, and their dishes and linens aren't as nice as Macy's (IMO). They don't carry any of my Mikasa dishes in store, whereas Macy's does. BUT they are awesome with returns, so we did all of our small appliances through them in case we get a dud that breaks within a year. They also have lots of OXO brand gadgets and storage, so we also registered for those through BBB.

I really like our Macy's registry. It's great being able to see who bought what so that I know whether to keep a lookout for a package. The rewards sound great, and their product lines tends to be nicer. We've only had 1 thing be discontinued completely, although a few specialty items don't stay in stock consistently (i.e., manual pasta maker). 
  • Options
    We are doing BBB and Pottery Barn.  We chose BBB over Macys b/c honestly, the prices are better.  And they always send out those 20% coupons.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Options
    we did macys and C & B (& PB). Macy's was more for our nicer things (china, crystal, etc) and pots/pans, towels, and electrics. Their stuff is always on sale & we had no issues with them at all. I think the only thing that was never on sale were our crystal wine glasses. We also had maybe 1 or 2 items that were not available for online purchase.  I personally think that the stuff as BBB is junky. Oh, and at Macy's, you get 20% off remaining registry items for the month after your wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're registering at both, but I was amazed at the differences in prices.  My KitchenAid mixer was $150 cheaper at BBB and my china was about $60/setting cheaper.  I don't know if Macys' sale prices would ever go that low.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bbb-or-macys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c8357086-f395-49dd-82e3-3d05bc354b67Post:7ee7df54-8d6a-4230-a1e6-c21eced8996c">Re: BBB or Macy's??</a>:
    [QUOTE]we did macys and C & B (& PB). Macy's was more for our nicer things (china, crystal, etc) and pots/pans, towels, and electrics. Their stuff is always on sale & we had no issues with them at all.  I think the only thing that was never on sale were our crystal wine glasses.  We also had maybe 1 or 2 items that were not available for online purchase. <strong> I personally think that the stuff as BBB is junky</strong>. Oh, and at Macy's, you get 20% off remaining registry items for the month after your wedding. 
    Posted by spartybride3[/QUOTE]

<div>We didn't like the towels there, but that's why we also did a registry at Pottery Barn.  We did a lot of china, kitchen appliances and cookware at BBB, the same brands that are carried in Macys, but <em><strong>significantly</strong></em> cheaper.</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Options
    Macy's has better selection and better prices when you consider their sales and coupons.  I would just register for the items at Macy's that are too expensive at Crate & Barrel like their bedding as you mentioned.
  • Options
    We did BBB and Macy's. I ended up moving almost all of our items (except Fiestaware and towels) over to BBB after I had an awful experience in the store with their registry consultants. I have nothing but great things to say about our BBB consultant, and they've been great about returns and giving cash back. Macy's will only give me store credit, and the employees at the store closest to me are terrible at their jobs, so I had to go to the store in downtown Philly in order to return items (the store by my said they were ringing up as $0.01, which was clearly wrong, but they couldn't fix it - but I had no problems at the downtown Philly store. Kinda ridiculous).

Also, BBB offers free shipping on any registry item that is not in stock (no minimum purchase), and even if it is in stock, if you push for it, they will waive the shipping. Plus the 20% coupons are great and that was also the amount of their completion event. I don't have, nor do I plan to get a Macy's card, so their incentives did nothing for me.
  • Options
    Hi!

I registered at Macy's with my groom last night. The lady was very friendly and also provided us with the information on receiving 5%-10% back if we were a Macy's Cardholder (another bride also mentioned this). I was a bit taken back by the prices and felt that no one will be buying me something so expensive. I plan on registering at BBB as well because it appeared more cost effective for the guests. I must say that having more options seems like the more reasonable options. Oh, and I also created a honeyfund in case people want to give us gifts towards our honeymoon. There are so many choices with this!

Good luck.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bbb-or-macys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:c8357086-f395-49dd-82e3-3d05bc354b67Post:9bc4637a-45ef-4090-b1ca-043e22122713">BBB or Macy's??</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I've heard lots of bad things about Macy's so I kind of wrote them off (I heard that they were more expensive, discontinued a lot of stuff, etc).  However, I recently read that they carry a lot of the same stuff as BBB, which is where we originally going to register.  However, BBB doesn't have a lot of bedding choices, which is something that we really really want to register for...so I am now thinking maybe Macy's instead?  How was your experience at either store?  For the record, we're also registering at C&B, but I think their bedding might be a little out of the price range that we want.  With Macy's/BBB there are usually lots of coupons.
    Posted by aloisk57[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

189image 110image 5image 74image
  • Options
    I have a registry at both. My fine china is regular price at BBB for sales prices at Macys. However, I found some things at Macys that BBB didnt have. Some of my older guests do not shop at BBB and would rather wait for a sale or coupon at Macys to buy gifts. Some items are the same price at both stores, those I listed on both registries, in order to give more options at Macys.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards