Catholic Weddings
Options

Bouquet for Mary question

Hello all!

I met with my florist yesterday and she mentioned that the bouquet we present to Mary is usually three roses wrapped with a blue ribbon. Is this correct? Does anyone know the significance behind the blue ribbon?

Thanks!

Re: Bouquet for Mary question

• Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Doesn't matter, I've never seen that before.

You can present a simple rose, bouquet, or crown her head, if you can reach her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's what my florist suggested too. I think blue is the color most commonly associated with Mary.  Over the years I have observed it done in all the ways agapecarrie pointed out, so it's really up to you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_bouquet-mary-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:dcc69b11-bac9-4c15-822f-f8f18680b4aePost:e4a10e9b-3d66-4d44-9954-2912dc5ac6cd">Re: Bouquet for Mary question</a>:
    [QUOTE] I think blue is the color most commonly associated with Mary. 
    Posted by kbarker719[/QUOTE]
    Yep. So that's probably why she suggested that, but there's no set way to do it. I had one florist tell me it was always blue flowers. Um, no thanks. I'm doing three pink roses, and I don't remember what color of ribbon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there is a correct way to do it. I have never seen that before either. I think the most common is a single rose or flower or crowning her head.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are doing a single rose for her. I think that's pretty common.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My florist also suggested a single rose or a crown.  I asked for a bouquet and she was fine with that.  I think anything goes as long as you feel it is beautiful.

For the ribbon color you mentioned, certain shades of light blue can also be known as Marian blue or heavenly blue. People with a devotion to Our Lady of Fatima (or have a Marian devotion in general), for example, have been called the "Blue Army."

Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all for your advice! Looks like I have a few options to pick from :)
  • Options
    2Bwed20112Bwed2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our florist has actually worked with our church/priest on previous weddings and told us also that it has to be the 3 roses wrapped in a blue ribbon.  I don't know what the significance is of it and I'm not really bothered by it.  I think the tribute itself is really what matters.  What type of flowers you place by her statue is just cosmetic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I believe everytime I have seen a picture or statue of Mary, she seems to be wearing a light blue headress.

Maybe the three roses represents the father, the son, and the holy spirit?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should ask the church. I think every church does it a little differently.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards