Florida-Central Florida

Need a Honeymoon Destination mexico vs costa rica vs Jamaica

I need ur advice!!!!!!!  We are debating on whether to go to Costa Rica, Jamaica or Mexico. We are looking for an all inclucsive resort with fun activities to do.  I really want to go to Mexico but Im scared from what everyone is saying that its tooo dangerous and too much killing is going on WHERE SHOULD I GO????????

Re: Need a Honeymoon Destination mexico vs costa rica vs Jamaica

• edited December 2011
    we stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach in the Riviera Maya and it was EXCELLENT.  If you stick to the tourist areas (like the Riviera Maya) you will be safe from all of the craziness going on in the other parts of Mexico.  We were so far removed and sheltered from it all... you would have never know.  Plus there are great excursions that leave right from the hotel (and all of the other hotels in the region). We are going back 4/1/11 -- cannot wait!!
    jeannie ♥ harry {05.01.10}
    married bio with vendor reviews
    planning bio
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hate to be a downer but I wouldn't choose any of those places.  I would suggest Bermuda or the US Virgin Islands instead.  They are much nicer.  

We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon to Sandals.  I didn't think that going to such an impoverished country would have such an impact on our trip considering we only left the resort on resort excursions but unfortunately, it did.  I would never ever go back to Jamaica again.  Just driving through Jamaica, it was incredibly impoverished and there was not a single area we drove through that didn't look like a total slum.  Even the area surrounding our resort was not a place I would ever feel safe walking through.  When we went on our excursions, people would come up to us in the museum or tourist attraction with stupid lies asking for money.  They wouldn't leave us alone either. THey just kept asking.  At the resort, everything was a hard sell.  They tried to sell us facial crap right after our couples massage and put it on our bill after we kept saying no.  They woke us up at the pool to sell us crap, the list goes on. They just keep harassing you for money.  I didn't like that I felt the area was unsafe and I really didn't like constantly being asked to buy dumb crap.  After our experience, I don't think I will ever trust a resort in a third world country again.  It felt like a charity trip instead of a luxurious vacation. Sandals was also a terrible resort. I would never stay there again.  You can read about it in my review in the link below. Scroll all the way to the bottom.  
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've actually gone to all of those places. IMO, Mexico will be the cheapest. They had "killings" going on when I went last April, but we were completely fine in Cancun.We even took the local bus for transportation at times. I was disappointed in the all inclusive, the hotel was okay, but not what I was expecting. In Jamaica, we did the Sandal's it was nice, but you can probably find other all inclusive for 1/2 the price that are just as nice. I only stopped at Costa Rica for a day (on a cruise) but I loved it! I want to go back for a week, we considered that for the honeymoon, but decided we didn't have the money for that.
    Overall, if you are looking for affordability, go to Mexico. If money doesn't matter, then I'd go to Costa Rica (Jamaica would be the 2nd choice).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • edited December 2011
    I am going to Cancun, Mexico to the Gran Melia and doing the all-inclusive.  I have never been there but after reading everyone's PPs I hope I have a good time!  Check out bookit.com to help you with deals.  We got ours half off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely skip Jamaica.  I went to the same Sandals resort Theresa did back in May, and it was okay, but I wasn't impessed.  The country is dangerous (even Sandals had 20' high concrete block walls a la Riker's Island complete with concertina razor wire on top and guards around the perimeter), and that particular Sandals was a bit run down in many of the areas.  I also heard that they closed one of the Sandals resorts out there and sold it (Dunn's River), and they're overhauling the Ocho Rios Grande.  Some of the food was good, some was definitely not, and based on our experience with a butler and some of my friends' experiences without, you really need the butler service to have a non-stressful honeymoon (i.e., it's harder to get into restaurants, you can't get a beach cabana, you have to really call and ask to get your fridge restocked, etc.).  The employees also tend to have this "no problem man" attitude where you could tell them the room is on fire and their response is "no problem man - we'll get to it."  Then, maybe, they'll see to your issue.  Maybe. 

FI really wanted the all-inclusive thing for our honeymoon, and we both scuba dive and Sandals does include scuba diving (which in Jamaica was stupid difficult to schedule for some reason), so we're going to Sandals Regency La Toc St. Lucia (neither of us ever want to go back to Jamaica).  I've heard good things about the resort and St. Lucia, so we'll see what happens. 

Good luck!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards