Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Help! Seating arrangements for one long table?

Hey, fellow brides, I need your advice regarding my reception: We're having our reception in a wine cave in a Napa vineyard and have decided that since there will be roughly 30 guests, we'd like to have one long table rather than three to four round tables (mainly family, so we want "family style", no separation of guests by tables). This is a sit-down dinner.

I've been looking for ideas on how to arrange seating. I don't want anyone to feel left out because they're on the end of the table ... We have three small children who will be in the wedding party, so I thought it may be wise to situation them at one end of the table so they can be closer to one another and roam freely into the neighboring grand room.

But ... how to assign seating for the family members? With me and my FH positioned in the "center" of the table (on one side), we want to make sure that our families aren't necessarily grouped up together -- they need to mingle a bit with our guests, too, right?

We will have place cards at the table -- assigned seating is a must with this group, even though the group is small. Is there any etiquette about seating around a single table? Help! ;)

~Christine

Re: Help! Seating arrangements for one long table?

• Options
    Forcing your guests to mingle is always a bit debated.  I personally don't think it's right to mix your guests with your FI's guests and force them to sit next to each other instead of their own family who they may want to catch up with and talk to.  While it's true that you are joining your FI's family and he's joining yours, your families are not joining each other.  They don't have to get to know each other.  Of course if it happens, and it will, that's great, but you shouldn't force it.

I would probably start with you two in the middle and then seat your parents and his parents closest to you, and work your way out.  Siblings next, then friends, and whoever else makes up the guest list.  Be sure to seat the kids near their parents.  Most parents want to supervise their kids during dinner, depending on how old they are.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    just crurious--what wine cave is your reception in?
  • Options
    The wedding is being held at the Hans Fahden vineyard in the northern part of Napa: Calistoga. Have you seen it? Such a beautiful location -- the grounds have a pond with a covered bridge, a plethora of flowers everywhere, a wonderful outdoor "tea house" where guests mingle during cocktail hour, and the fabulous wine cave.

The cave can actually seat up to 150, I think, depending on how you arrange your tables.  You can Google "Hans Fahden vineyard" or "Hans Fahden wine cave" and multiple links will pop up with photos (I don't think their Web site is that great).

:)

And, yes! The kids will definitely be sitting next to their parents! And our families actually get along rather quite well -- we're so fortunate!  Kiss
  • Options

We're having one long table for our 30 - 40 guests as well.  FI and I will be side by side at the head of the table.  No chairs will be at the other end.  On the side next to FI will be his parents.  Next to me will be mine.  Next to his parents will be my brother and wife.  Next to my parents will be FI's sister and husband.  So on and so forth.  A couple from his side, a couple from my side, etc.  The guests will be able to talk with the people next to them and across from them.  They will still have family members near to speak with as well.  After the meal, everyone will be free to roam and mingle.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards