Pre-wedding Parties
Options

So I wasn't going to have a engagement party...

This is my first advise post so be kind... 

FI and I have been together 5+ years and have talked about getting married for at least 2. He finally asked Dad (YAY) and we are engaged! So I went to my first bridal show and won a free engagement party. It is from a well reviewed hall and is a pretty decent package: free hall, hot and cold apps, white linens, dj, etc for up to 125 people. It includes a cash bar and balloon decor (yuck and yuck) but what do you want for free. They will even send out invites. 

So here's the problems. The hall is at least an hour and a half away from 90% of who would be invited. At $3+ dollars a gallon I hate to drag all my loved ones to the other side of town for apps! I don't know who of my side will show. Out of my 44 family members I assume around 30 might come. Everyone who knows us has obviously met us both, and his in-town family consists of his parents and sister. It would be nice to introduce them to my side, but it might be a little much all at once.  I DO NOT want presents (even for the shower i know will come) we both had homes that we combined, and our garage is FULL of stuff we don't have room for. I didn't want a engagement party for that exact reason. It's bad enough people will spend money on us for the shower. No one will be surprised we're engaged, it's been 5 friggen' years!

But it seems like a waste not to have it. It is free, and will probably be fun (if anyone shows up...) I know I can't throw my own party, so there is that. Do I put on the invite "party given by hall?" I know it's faux pas to put no gifts. but seriously, I feel like if you drive a hour and a half for me, I feel it's a gift. Ok that got out of hand long. If you made it this far, thanks for reading my rant. I got rear ended on my drive home from the wedding show and this is my main drama? Weddings do make you nuts lol!!

Re: So I wasn't going to have a engagement party...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Is there any way you can upgrade to hosting drinks? Doesn't need to be a full open bar, wine and beer would be completely fine. I mean, for 30 people how expensive would it be? Make sure this really is legitimate, I mean, make sure the drinks aren't like $15 a pop, $30 cover charge and $20 parking or something weird like that.

If you decide to go with it, I wouldn't call it an engagement party. Just call it a get-together, fewer people will give gifts.
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_wasnt-going-engagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:1d75a54c-44ec-4e66-a09d-ef94e49ff921Post:a15731d2-764f-4429-8bd2-174581f10665">Re: So I wasn't going to have a engagement party...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Is there any way you can upgrade to hosting drinks? Doesn't need to be a full open bar, wine and beer would be completely fine.</strong> I mean, for 30 people how expensive would it be? Make sure this really is legitimate, I mean, make sure the drinks aren't like $15 a pop, $30 cover charge and $20 parking or something weird like that. If you decide to go with it, I wouldn't call it an engagement party. Just call it a get-together, fewer people will give gifts.
    Posted by sister2groom[/QUOTE]

I was going to suggest this after reading your post. Since everything else is free, could you upgrade or pay for everyone's drinks yourself? Just like at the wedding, you shouldn't expect your guests to open up their wallets at a hosted party.

Congrats on winning the party! Just check with your guests and see if they're willing to make the drive and if they are, definitely make sure everything is hosted for them so they don't need to open their wallets.
  • Options
    LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Heck, as long as it's on a Saturday night and I'm not just getting off of work, I'd be willing to make the drive as a guest! That sounds like fun to me.

Ditto to everything PPs said.

As to not throwing it yourself, I might make the invite be, "___ and ___ won an engagement party and you're invited!". Hmm. looking at it I'm not sure that's great either... it sounds cheesy. But you could do something along those lines. I think "Party Given by Hall" just sounds a litlte weird... I might sit around wondering who this guy "Hall" is. I think you could just not mention WHO is throwing it, as another option, and when people ask be like, "We won it! How cool is that?"

Congrats on both the engagement and winning the party!
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    JordyanaJordyana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_wasnt-going-engagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:1d75a54c-44ec-4e66-a09d-ef94e49ff921Post:56413ef8-582e-455e-8f9c-dab5120c2590">Re: So I wasn't going to have a engagement party...</a>:
    [QUOTE]It sounds too good to be true....please dig further. Those free parties and trips you "win" at bridal fairs often have hidden fees....such as taxes and gratuities, or "deposits."
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

My mother took me to a bridal show a month ago and had me sign up for every contest out there. When she got a message on her answering machine that said I had won a free honeymoon getaway from the bridal show, she deleted it right away saying it was  scam.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards