Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Dance Lessons

Did anyone do it?  Where did you go?  Was it worth the money? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dance Lessons

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would like to know this also!!!! Anyone checking into it or any Former Knotties do it? Let us know!
    KStar Design.com
    Fluffy
    ***TTC Buddies w/ Monkey1018 & TTC/GP BFF w/ Jeep Doll***
    **GP Lucky Charm: TheDeatons**
  • Options
    kwumdkwumd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to do ballroom competitively so this may or may not help, since I took lessons for specific technique stuff instead of just a general cute routine.

If you are cheap, colleges (like UMD) have ballroom dance clubs that offer free group lessons. At UMD you have to join the alumni association though to be able to go since you have to sign a waiver, yada yada. Its relatively cheap though and you dont actually have to be an alumni.

There are places called Promenade (in Baltimore), as well as Chevy Chase Ballroom and DuShor near DC that I have been to that have people that teach privately as well. Private lessons range widely in cost, but really you don't need someone that good if you are only interested in something simple. i.e. I have friends that give lessons for substantially less than professional dancers charge. Try to find a student or a less knowledgeable instructor if you are trying to save money and only want something general like a few spins and a dip or something like that.

No matter what you do, don't expect a couple lessons to dramatically change your  dancing. Yes, you can learn a simple routine, but you need to practice outside of that. Some places let you practice for free if you take lessons there, others charge like $10-15/hr to use the floor. Go social dancing! Dancing with other people helps you learn too and its fun. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have no advice but I bet that would be a lot of fun and be great to show off your skills!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just bought a groupon for 2 lessons at Arthur Murray. The have 7 locations I think, and we are going to go to the one in Columbia.  We aren't going to actually do the lessons for another couple months, but the deal was really good so I just bought them ahead of time. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The groupon idea was great!  How did you like Arthur Murray?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards