California-Northern
Options

Confused about advice on tipping hair/makeup person

Okay, I've read several articles on tipping the hair/make-up person, but there seem to be many variables, so would like to know what others' opinions are on my specific situation:

1) I'm paying $380 for my hair/makeup (not including the $120 trial), and appx. $150 each for 3 additional wedding members' hair/makeup.  The stylist is not in the expensive range for the area, but definitely not a low-priced place either.

2) I'm paying 2 addtional fees already for travel (about 10 miles) & early start (7am) at appx. $100.  These are fees others I've looked at do not normally charge, though they may potentially have built it in their prices instead?

3) The stylist owns her own salon and is coming to the hotel.

4) I plan on tipping 15-20% already for the $120 trial

Assuming I'm generally pleased with the service & she doesn't have to do anything extraordinary on the day of, how much, if any, should I tip considering I'm already paying extras in fees and the price of the services?

Re: Confused about advice on tipping hair/makeup person

• Options
    edited December 2011
    your stylist is still providing a service- you still need to tip. maybe not on the extra fees, but still on the cost of the actual services.

and im a little confused why you are posting this on the norcal board when it says you're from boston...
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think because she is the owner of the business, a tip is unnecessary. But a tip for the assistants would be customary, about 20%, depending on if you were pleased with their services. BUT you can give the owner a gift!

I gave my makeup artist a gift card as a thank you for her amazing work. ($50-100 is normal, depending on what you can afford.) Sometimes a glowing review on Yelp, Project Wedding or Wedding Wire is enough.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You can tip if you want, esp since you are not going to the salon but rather she is coming to you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards