Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Save the Date Timing

I am not getting married until May of 2012, Im planning so far in advance for several reasons.  Its been suggested to me to send out the save the dates January of 2011.  My gut feeling is that this may be too early and some my be confused with the wedding being this upcoming May.  However, it may also be helpful to those friends out of town or those that are still in school

What are your opinions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Save the Date Timing

• Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would wait until May of 2011. You may confuse people. A year in advance should be more than enough notice!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I think that is way too early. We are sending ours out at the six month mark. I know GMC sent hers in August- 9 months prior to her wedding.

I think 9 months is the earliest to do them. If you want to let people know, then I'd just tell them when the wedding is, and say you'll send a STD closer to the day.

HTH!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah that is way too early. 6 months is the norm, we sent ours with Christmas cards last year for our August 2010 wedding since we would also have a lot of OOT. But we only sent to family and friends who were absolute invites, not entire guest list. We still hadn't finalized, and knew that some of the work friends could change over that time if anyone changed jobs. There were several people we wanted to invite and just couldn't be sure we would be able to, so didn't send STDs.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    katie88fkatie88f member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your opinions- thats what I thought as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think sending them a year in advance is the earliest you can get away with. There's really no need to send them earlier, or even that early, unless you're having a destination wedding or getting married on a holiday weekend.
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's super early too. My wedding is in May 2011 and we sent our STDs out in mid-August 2010 (which is even early, but my wedding is over memorial day weekend and we have a lot of OOT so I wanted to give everyone a heads up).

I believe TK suggests that you send out your STDs 8 months out - so technically (well, according to TK) for a May wedding, you would send them in September 2011! GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards