My fiance and I are looking online non-stop for a venue in Austin TX for a December 28, 2012 ceremony and reception with a budget of $6000 total for everything. The problem is the fact that I am currently located in England and he is in Missouri. I've found a few venue's I like and one in particular (The Oasis at Lake Travis) that currently has my date available. However, my fiance wants to wait until he can visit Austin in a couple weeks before reserving the venue itself. The deposit is whatever the room cost is which will be approximately $500 and if you cancel you get 50% back, $250. I would much rather go ahead and put down the deposit and then if he absolutely hates it get the half deposit back. Especially, since I've been in contact with the venue and am very happy with it at this point. The pictures look absolutely gorgeous. We are about 95% sure we'll be doing our event here. What does everyone else think? What is your experience with reserving a venue? I am being too cautious in thinking this venue will no longer have my date available in two weeks? We have about 5 months to go but I'm trying to be major proactive with my being an ocean's world away. Any help is greatly appreciated!!