African American Weddings
Options

Favors (pip) Ridiculous or cute?

Ok... I know you ladies will tell me the truth. FI and I are having an old Hollywood inspired wedding, (Morning brunch) with the  A Few of our Favorite Things Theme.  For our favors I wanted to give each family a movie night gift basket

Ours would have the following:
Genuine Coca-Cola Contour Glasses, 6.25 oz

All wrapped up in Cellophane real pretty like. We'll wrap our names around the Coke bottles and attach a tag that says

"Thanks for sharing our big day , have a night in on us " or something cheesy.

ALL of our guests are OOT with about half traveling by air. Is this a cute or cheesy favor? Practical for travelers? Would you scrap it alltogether?
577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary

Re: Favors (pip) Ridiculous or cute?

• Options
    eneh2012eneh2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's cheesy at all. It's very cute, matches your theme well.  I love all the little details with it too. I voted to go with that. I also don't see any problem for OOT either. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Are you doing only 1 movie choice (idelwild) because I love movies like Rage in Harlem and Lackawanna Blues.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Thanks @eneh

Mahoganie we're doing Idlewild for the our generation guests, Dorothy Dandridge story or Josephine Baker story for our older guests, We have some super religous guests who I'm not sure what to get.... I've never seen Rage in Harlem

577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea...really cute.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I voted above and I am not really a fan of the favor.  I dont think it is ridiculous(thats kind of harsh) but I dont think its for a wedding. A movie gift basket is something that is usually raffled off or purchased at a silent auction to help a school raise money. I dont think of a movie basked when I think of OLD HOLLYWOOD GLAM. I dont even have a suggestion to offer as a favor because I have been struggling trying to decided what to do for my own but I am sure you can come up with some more elegant and classy. However, the ladies above seem to love the idea, so maybe I am just the want not fully seeing it. Sorry.   

• Options
    caladybugcaladybug member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not ridiculous at all. But I think it may be a little distracted from your theme. Can you do just the old hollywood movies & scrap the popcorn & snacks? You know go with real old hollywood movies like Dorothy Dandridge & Harry Belafonte in Carmen. Or anything with Lena Horne or Sidney Portier. I would keep it elegant. For the young folks, it would be good for them to have an opportunity to see the real classics. And a DVD will be easier to pack than a big package. Regardless what you choose, your guests will be happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_favors-pip-ridiculous-cute?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:60c640de-3b31-4aa9-a02d-fafe816b3d30Post:ab6c62dd-abda-45b5-9f9d-44c66f189d32">Re: Favors (pip) Ridiculous or cute?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I voted above and I am not really a fan of the favor.  I dont think it is ridiculous(thats kind of harsh) but <strong>I dont think its for a wedding. A movie gift basket is something that is usually raffled off or purchased at a silent auction to help a school raise money. I dont think of a movie basked when I think of OLD HOLLYWOOD GLAM.</strong> I dont even have a suggestion to offer as a favor because I have been struggling trying to decided what to do for my own but I am sure you can come up with <strong>some more elegant and classy</strong>. However, the ladies above seem to love the idea, so maybe I am just the want not fully seeing it. Sorry.   
    Posted by Misskin[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your opinion because this is exaclty what I was afraid of! I just don't know what else to do!!! Websites suggest the most ridiculous things like diamond paperweights and without a David Tutera in my life that's not happening. Le sigh
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_favors-pip-ridiculous-cute?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:60c640de-3b31-4aa9-a02d-fafe816b3d30Post:217e0425-c278-4796-ac5d-682472731547">Re: Favors (pip) Ridiculous or cute?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not ridiculous at all. But I think it may be a little distracted from your theme. Can you do just the old hollywood movies & scrap the popcorn & snacks? You know go with real old hollywood movies like Dorothy Dandridge & Harry Belafonte in Carmen. Or anything with Lena Horne or Sidney Portier. <strong>I would keep it elegant. </strong>For the young folks, it would be good for them to have an opportunity to see the real classics. And a DVD will be easier to pack than a big package. Regardless what you choose, your guests will be happy.
    Posted by caladybug[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea scrapping all of the extras. How would we package the DVD so it looks classy? FI & I really like the vintage coke glass and bottle so I know he wants to keep that idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Maybe not the Joseph Baker movie because of some of the nudity..hehe
    I like Calady's suggestions!

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_favors-pip-ridiculous-cute?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:60c640de-3b31-4aa9-a02d-fafe816b3d30Post:1c69048a-780f-4721-a039-731659746144">Re: Favors (pip) Ridiculous or cute?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favors (pip) Ridiculous or cute? : I appreciate your opinion because this is exaclty what I was afraid of! I just don't know what else to do!!! Websites suggest the most ridiculous things like diamond paperweights and <strong>without a David Tutera in my life that's not happening.</strong> Le sigh
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

I need DAVID too!!! I have changed so many details of my wedding because one minute it sounds great the next minute it doesnt. I have struggled the most with deciding on a favor(still dont have one) and I would have thought that would have been an easy decision.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think this is a "ridiculous" idea, but my only suggestion is to not go crazy with the wedding favors and spend a lot of money.  I can't tell you many times favors get left behind and not used.  At the end of the night, believe me when I say that you'll see tons of favors left on the table.  I don't think that most people purposely leave them behind, but for the most part, people are out on the dance floor having a good time and then at the end of the night they may not think about taking their favor before they leave.  

I think that there are ways to do old Hollywood glamour without being literal and doing actual movie stuff that's going to cost a lot of money.  How many guests are you estimating?  Even if you got each DVD for say $5, that's pretty stiff if you're going to have at least 100 people.  Our theme was old Hollywood glamour as well, and since our wedding was black tie and formal, we had candy inside of tuxedo and wedding dress favor boxes.  I'll post a picture below so you can see what I'm talking about.  We got the boxes super cheap from ebay and just put Hershey Kisses inside.  I know it sounds boring, but at the same time we were able to put the money elsewhere for something a little more important than the favors because I knew that not everyone would take them.  

Also, and more importantly, beware of the people who have to travel by air since they won't be able to take their bottles of coke on the airplane.  And it would be a bit of a pain to have to fly with a drinking glass that may break.  Just to be totally honest with you, I'd probably leave that stuff behind when I was packing because it's not practical.  HTH!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_favors-pip-ridiculous-cute?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:60c640de-3b31-4aa9-a02d-fafe816b3d30Post:ab6c62dd-abda-45b5-9f9d-44c66f189d32">Re: Favors (pip) Ridiculous or cute?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I voted above and I am not really a fan of the favor.  I dont think it is ridiculous(thats kind of harsh) but I dont think its for a wedding. A movie gift basket is something that is usually raffled off or purchased at a silent auction to help a school raise money. I dont think of a movie basked when I think of OLD HOLLYWOOD GLAM. I dont even have a suggestion to offer as a favor because I have been struggling trying to decided what to do for my own but I am sure you can come up with some more elegant and classy. However, the ladies above seem to love the idea, so maybe I am just the want not fully seeing it. Sorry.   
    Posted by Misskin[/QUOTE]

This. I too don't think its 'ridiculous', because I can see where you were trying to go with it. I guess my only issue with it is that I've seen it done at children's birthday parties and they did something similar at my company's client conference dinner. It doesn't scream 'wedding' to me.

I also saw your post above (sorry if I have the wrong person) about centerpieces. I just don't see this favor going with the elegant centerpiece you're wanting.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    edited December 2011
    Kiya those are great points, FI is dead set against candy favors, but I'm trying to convince him the excat point you made about bottles breaking. The movie box total cost would actually be around $3-4 per family which is fine with us.

2010- I think I'm seeing that now
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards