Flowers
Options

DIY Flowers - how do we deliver them to the venue?

I'm having a logistical nightmare with regards to my DIY flowers, and hopefully you fellow knotties have an answer for me!

I'm DIY-ing my flowers with my bridesmaid, who is a floral designer.  My problem is that I'm making 20 HUGE centerpieces in 30" tall vases, and I don't know how to get them to the venue the day of the wedding, as we both will be getting ourselves ready for the event all day (and the venue doesn't open until 2, smack in the middle of when we will be having our hair/makeup done and then pictures).

Is there a service that can handle this?  Are there florists out there that do "day-of"floral set-up without making the arrangements themselves?

Advice/suggestions extremely welcomed - my wedding is in 5 weeks!  Eeep!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

**~** Day my dreams come true: 10/13/2012 **~**

Re: DIY Flowers - how do we deliver them to the venue?

• Options
    Ask a friend or family member. 
  • Options
    Would your venue allow you to bring them the day before and store them somewhere?
  • Options
    We bought ours to the venue the day before and the caterer set them up for us. They were fairly simple, milk bottle vases with peruvian lilies, but I think yours would be easy enough to place too.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm going to call the venue today to see.  They have an event the night before my wedding, so I'm not sure if they will. :-/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

**~** Day my dreams come true: 10/13/2012 **~**

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited September 2012
    Depending on the size of your venue, I'd guess they probably somewhere they can store these.

I made our centerpieces and we delivered the night before the wedding to the banquet hall, which was about 200 yards from the chapel where we had our rehearsal. They were fine with this. We left the bouquets in the kitchen. The tables weren't decorated, but I did have a "day of wedding coordinator" who put them on the tables after the caterer placed the linens on them.

I might recommend making up the floral part of the centerpieces similar to bouquets, with maybe a rubber band around the stems, and storing and transporting those in large floral buckets (maybe your floral designer friend has access). They could then be put into the vases at the venue.

If you have to do this the day of the wedding when you are having pictures taken, then perhaps you can find someone amongst your friends or family who could do this and put the flowers into the vases at the venue. Another alternative is hiring a "day of wedding coordinator"...........if they are only needed for a few things, they may give you a discount. Ours was about $500, and she was there for 8 hrs, doing a ton of stuff.......they can be inexpensive, just ask on your local board.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm not sure I want to be making 20 centerpieces the night before my wedding.  A nice peaceful night spending time with friends and family is more my style.  Siimplify the design and hire a florist!  The cost of labor, delivery and set-up is factored into the cost and worth every penny.  Just stay within your budget.  If you're heart is set on making them yourselves, have a friend deliver them the day of.  Venues don't worry about watering them before laying them out or carefully handling them, it's not their job to do so.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards