Connecticut
Options

Anthony's Ocean View ceremony?

We booked Anthony's Ocean View for October 4, 2012. We want to have the ceremony there as well as the reception, but the people there recommended a maximum of 30 people in the garden and 50 people on the beach. We are probably inviting around 100 people. I know we won't have 100% attendance, but of course we have to plan as such. Now I'm worried about acoustics and how we can swing this (I know we will have to spend a couple hundred to rent the extra chairs, which is fine).

I was just wondering if anyone had their wedding or has ever attended a wedding at Anthony's Ocean View. Could everyone hear the ceremony, how many people attended, and how did they set up the chairs?

Thanks, ladies!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Anthony's Ocean View ceremony?

• Options
    Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cousin got married at Anthony's on the beach.  They easily had over 100 people.  They probably set up about 50 chairs and the rest of the people stood.  Nobody seemed to mind standing, but maybe that's just the way our family is because we've had several family weddings where people have stood for the ceremony.
  • Options
    Ali092011Ali092011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_anthonys-ocean-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:6a336dd6-00ee-4000-ba02-f099d30a91aaPost:59c8cc70-3e3d-40e0-9c09-b52d8de715b6">Re: Anthony's Ocean View ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My cousin got married at Anthony's on the beach.  They easily had over 100 people.  They probably set up about 50 chairs and the rest of the people stood.  Nobody seemed to mind standing, but maybe that's just the way our family is because we've had several family weddings where people have stood for the ceremony.
    Posted by Carebear62584[/QUOTE]

They did mention that usually people "crowd around" the couple getting married, which I took to mean that there would be people standing. I was nervous about that, though, because someone else asked on the Etiquette board if they could have half the number of chairs, and the general concensus was that it was unacceptable and rude. I see no problem with it, as long as anyone who NEEDS to sit down (like my 92 year old grandmother) could. Does that sound okay?
  • Options
    Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nobody went past the first row of chairs.  Some stood by the sides of the chairs.  I know it's not etiquitte to have some people stand, but that's up to you.  You know your guests better than we do.  Like I said, it was perfectly acceptable for my family to stand considering the ceremony was 30 mins most.  At another family wedding where there were enough chairs people chose to stand instead of sit because they could see better.  I'm getting married at Woodwinds and actually asked if I needed to have a chair for every person and they said yes (of course they charge $1/chair so it's an easy money maker).  And for those people who require chairs like grandparents or disabled, just put a reserved sign on the first few rows and let them know ahead of time that they are the people the chairs are reserved for.
  • Options
    bmetz34bmetz34 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister just got married at Anthony's on the beach.  There were easily over 100 ppl there.  When the chairs were full, people sat under the gazebo and stood.  I was in the wedding party and no one "crowded around" the couple or anything.  It was just like any other outdoor wedding I've been too.  And no one seemed to mind standing since the ceremony was only about 15-20 minutes. 
    8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been to over 20 weddings there. My sister had over 200 people at hers. They always use some chairs and then others stand. As long as your ceremony isn't too lengthy I would suggest this route at well. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I would say is to air on the side of caution and have a back up plan. I went to a wedding there and it poured all day, the B&G had no back up plan and we are all forced into some small room to stand and watch, there was nowhere to sit and it was very crowded. Plus, me not really being all that tall it was difficult to see!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ali092011Ali092011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much! It's weird that they were sketchy about this when it's obviously been done before and is entirely possible. Thanks again! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married at Anthony's in August. They never told us only 30 people for outside, just that they only provide 30 chairs.  They told us that it wasn't worth it to rent the extra chairs, but  we rented them anyways, as we felt that people wouldn't want to stand (even for a short ceremony).  Unfortunately, it rained, so the ceremony was moved inside.  I was in the upstairs room and we set the chuppah up on the dance floor.  I think without the chuppah, it would have been in front of the big picture windows overlooking the sound.  They handled the back-up plan really well :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards