Florida-West Coast
Options

Invitation Wording HELP!!

Ahhhh! I finally found the absolute perfect wedding invitation and now I actually have to tell the woman what the heck I want on the thing, LOL. Up until now I was just stressed about finding one I liked and honestly never put too much thought into the wording Foot in mouth So I need your help!

I don't want any children at the ceremony+reception. I am aware now that a few family members are bring their "young adults" regardless, which really doesn't bug me, I just think anything below 11-12 is too young for me. I've been reading all over the internet for a nice way to put this...but cant find anything Cry I mean I know as long as I label the invitation to the exact people this shouldn't be a problem, but I also know that some people are just dense.

Also, most of the attendants are out-of-staters. I'm blocking off rooms at the Westin Harbour Island (getting married right down the road at the Rusty Pelican), but wasn;'t sure how to give those people that information. The woman I spoke with at the Westin gave me a reference # to give when the guests call to make their reservations. How do I explain this to them??

My wedding is in 4 months. When do you think I should send these out? Like I mentioned before, almost all of our guests are out of state, so I'd like to give them plenty of time to book flights. Is 3 months really too early to send them out? If my wedding date is April 18, when do you think is a suitable time for me to ask the RSVP's be in?

Lastly, my ceremony and reception are both at the Rusty Pelican. A site I read online said I could simple put "reception to follow" on the invite and that seems to imply they are at the same place. Do you think that's well-known? Or is there a better way to tell people?

Thanks girls!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Invitation Wording HELP!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow.  That lots of questions.

For starters, what are your invitations like?  Do you plan on having inserts?  I would suggest doing that for things like hotel information, etc.  Yes, you need to have the hotel name on there with the reference number.

Did you send out save the dates?  If you did, I don't think you need to send your invitations out 3 months early.  I think 2 months is good with an rsvp date 3-4 weeks before the wedding.

And yes, "reception immediately following" is very well known for the wedding/reception site being at the same place.

Do you have a website for your guests?  If yes, also include this information on that website. 

HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks moonstone! ha ha, I know it's a lot of questions, sorry!

Here is a pic of my invites:

They do have inserts, so maybe I will figure out a nice way to make my own little insert with hotel info.

Yes, I sent out save the dates, I guess I thought 3 months was sufficient, but probably also because I am super anxious to see which of my out-of-state family members wont be making it. 3 months out with a sooner RSVP date makes sense though Smile

Gotcha on the "reception to follow" now, and we do have a wedding website, however we sent that link out with the save the dates. WOuld it be overkill to include it in the invite?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My invite wording was (something like this)

The pleasure of your company is requested at the marriage of Mrs. CPH and Mr. CPH on Friday January eighth two thousand and ten at half past four in the afternoon at one First street Saint Ausgutine florida

Reception to follow

I made a separate card for accomidations and said

For you convience a block of rooms has been reserved at the following hotel. When booking the room please mention the CPH and CPH Wedding.

XXX Hotel
    Hotel Address
    Hotel #
    $99 per night
    Hotel number
  • Options
    jen812jen812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Your invites are beautiful!  How many inserts come w/ the invite?  What are you planning on designating them for?  Could one of them be for accommodations?
    When we sent out our STDs, our guests started looking for flights then.  Some of them booked right away, some are still looking for the best deal. 
    I know you're anxious to find out who's coming (me too), but I guess we just have to wait. 

PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our Invitations say:

Mr. and Mrs. Parents of the Bride
    request the honour of your presence
    at the marriage of their daughter

Moonstone

to

Mr. Moonstone

Saturday, the best day of the month
    two thousand ten
    at two o'clock in the afternoon

A beautiful location
    Sarasota, Florida

Reception Immediately Following

We have 4 inserts:

1 -  directions with a map on the back
    2 -  accommodations/travel here is the wording:

Accommodations

Hotel Indigo
    (941) 487-3800

Hyatt Place
    (941)921-5797

Reference the Moonstone/Mr. Moonstone Wedding
    for discounted rates

Travel

Airports:
    Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport
    (SRQ)
    5.2 miles to Sarasota

Tampa International Airport (TPA)
    65.7 miles to Sarasota
    ___

Please visit our website for more information.
    www.mrmoonstone and moonstone.com

3 - reply
    4 - free pass to the gardens for earlier in the day

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think if you do the inserts you should be fine.  I am doing pocket style invites and that is what your looks like.  In ours we added a 1. RSVP card 2. Directions card 3. Accomodation card.

We are renewing our vows so I do not think that my wording will be of much help to you. 

As far as the kids attending...that is a hard one.  I don't even know how to begin to word that.  GOOD LUCK with that!  And even if you put everyone's name on the invite you will still have that hand full that do not have common sense and will completely over look that. 
    On March 13, 2010 I reaffirmed the LOVE that I have for the MOST important man in my LIFE! And now it is Happily ever after...forever!!!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    babybchbumbabybchbum member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If at all possible I would put on the RSVP card that due to the limited seating available ___ (where I would put the number) of seats have been reserved for you.

I would let people know through a phone call or e-mail about the age if you feel it is going to be a problem.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you think that people will bring their children with them but you don't want them at the wedding then you may want to look into hiring a babysitter or seeing if the hotel offers this type of service.  Then you could include on the Accommodations card that sitter services will be available.

Also, by leaving out "and family" and not included the names of children on the invites on the envelope hopefully they will get the hint.  If you get an RSVP back that clearly includes the children then you should call them to kindly let them know of the adult only policy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much ladies. I finalized the deets today and feel a big load lifted. Couldn't have done it without you all Laughing
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    >>anything below 11-12 is too young for me. ...  as long as I label the invitation to the exact people this shouldn't be a problem

Yes, you address the invitation to only the people who are invited to the event.  In real life, iI have never heard of anyone "adding on" to the RSVP card any extra names of friends or their kids, etc.  But if someone does, you or your mom can quickly call that person.

In my area, it's common to have a kids' room at the ceremony site and a kids' room at the reception site - so kids are always invited but they are dropped off at the kids' room as the parents enter the facility.  You might consider that option - having several room mothers/minders who provide age-appropriate games and movies, and the venue will provide a half-price kids' meal to be served in the kids' room.

>>I'm blocking off rooms at the Westin Harbour Island (getting married right down the road at the Rusty Pelican), but wasn;'t sure how to give those people that information.

Use an insert card.

>>My wedding is in 4 months. When do you think I should send these out? Is 3 months really too early to send them out? If my wedding date is April 18, when do you think is a suitable time for me to ask the RSVP's be in?

There is a formula you follow for that.  Here it is:

Q.How far in advance should you send invitations? What is the proper date to ask for the reply card?
    A. Invitations should go out six weeks before the wedding -- that gives guests plenty of time to clear their schedules for the day and make travel arrangements if they are out-of-towners. It also lets you make the RSVP date a little earlier -- say three weeks before the wedding date -- so you can get a final head count and start making a seating chart (if you'll have one) before the final-week-before-the-wedding crunch begins.

So your wedding is on April 13.
    Your invitations should go out on March 2.
    Your RSVP date is March 23.

>>Lastly, my ceremony and reception are both at the Rusty Pelican. A site I read online said I could simple put "reception to follow" on the invite and that seems to imply they are at the same place. Do you think that's well-known?

Of course.  That's the phrase that everyone uses when the reception is at the same place as the ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards