Chit Chat
Options

Grandparents & a Destination Wedding

While coming up with ideas for the wedding, a destination wedding has become a focus of attention. The major issue we have with this is that my Fiane's grandparents are very old (in their 90s) and not that healthy. To clarify, they still live in their own home with help that comes three days a week to help them out in general and aound the house. This help is supplemented by family who lives close by and can come over whenever necessary. If we decide to do a destination wedding, I'm not sure they would be able to make the trip. This could possibly cause a lot of unnecessary stress and hurt feelings.
What should we do/ how do we go about making them and ourselves happy?
I'm sure we aren't the only ones to encounter this situation. Any advice is welcome!

Re: Grandparents & a Destination Wedding

• Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Please do not put your fiance's grandparents through the stress of having to travel to your wedding.  They likely will be unable to.

If you want a small private ceremony with only your parents and siblings, and are okay with not having either of your grandparents there, then that's fine.  But if it's a bigger wedding, and YOUR grandparents are going to be there, then I think it will sting a bit if they can't make it.

DSC_9275
  • Options
    This exactly:
    DWs sound great at first, but you have to realize that many of your invited guests will be unable or unwilling to attend a wedding that is so expensive and time-consuming to attend.
  • Options
    You have to weigh your options.  Is it more important to you to have a DW or to have his grandparents at your wedding?

Let that be your answer.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Will many of your FI's relatives stay back because they also help care for the g'parents?

Agree with Lucy - DW's sound great at first, but you put a lot of the wedding expense onto your guests and many will not attend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards