Registry and Gift Forum
Options

MOG into knick-knacks

My FI's mother is very into little knick-knacks anytime there is an event that might call for gift giving (birthdays, christmas, bridal shower...).  Items like little painted vases, tea light holders, candy jars, little boxes... she is always giving us stuff that really doesn't fit my style, I like relatively clutter free space.  I'm running out of places to put the things she has given us and she keeps giving us more.  they are really pretty things, just not my style, and all really fragile. A couple of them are very special and I would never consider getting rid of them (a little bowl painted by FI's late grandmother) but others are clearly flea market finds. occasionally she'll give a slightly broken item with instructions on what to buy and how to fix it. what's a girl to do?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: MOG into knick-knacks

• Options
    egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Does MIL live close?  If she doesn't, then I would carefully box up the ones that don't need to be fixed, and then pull them out when I was expecting her.  My FMIL lives relatively close, but would die before she just "dropped in."  If she lives close, perhaps you can display just a few of them?  Keep one of the small boxes in the kitchen for your rings when you're cooking, etc.  As for the broken ones, I would get rid of them if you don't have any attachment to them, unless you can see yourself actually fixing them and using them in the future.  
  • Options
    MOG lives 20 minutes away and is not afraid to just stop by :( I have no intention of fixing the broken things, would love to get rid of them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Do you think your FI could talk to her?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    YOU do not need to do anything here. Your FI needs to handle his mother on this.  Any reason - you're out of space, you don't want  breakables out when you have kids (if that's in the future), it's just not your style, whatever.  He tells her thanks for everything, but you really don't want/need/have room for any more, so please stop giving this type of item.  Then donate or sell all but a few items that are sentimental or that you kind of like.
  • Options
    We probably really pissed of FMIL, but at Easter when she tried to give us a bunch of stuff we just said no. No, thanks. We don't have the space and we don't really want it.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I agree, I would keep the sentimental ones and maybe just keep a couple of them out. I would toss the broken ones. I would have your FI tell his mom that although you appreciate her generosity, you both really like a clutter free space.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I would keep the sentimental things and return/donate/toss the rest.  She's a grown up, she should understand that different people like different things.  
  • Options
    Perhaps you can have a yard sale.  Maybe you'll get a few bucks and you can buy something you really want.  But be sure to keep a few things so she sees them out when she comes over!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards