Iowa-Des Moines

Who are you using for a caterer?

Just looking for ideas!!!   I thought I would start by finding out who everyone else has looked at :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Who are you using for a caterer?

• sdose13sdose13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gateway Market. Great alcohol and food prices. And great food -- very customizable for what you want.
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Christianis for food and our reception location (Pinnacle Club in Ankeny) is doing drinks
    Anniversary
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    edited December 2011
    We are having Famous Daves. Not traditional wedding food, but we wanted comfort food!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_using-caterer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:80Discussion:689989fa-6cc8-471d-bfd8-e7c41b2def38Post:4ba60b0d-e31a-488d-8ea0-2e4a45ed397b">Re: Who are you using for a caterer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having Famous Daves. Not traditional wedding food, but we wanted comfort food!
    Posted by medusia00[/QUOTE]

We also want comfort food! 

My future husband built an awesome smoker.  He makes the best ribs...hands down.  We are honestly tossing the idea around of doing the meats and picking up sides from Sam's Club or Hy-Vee or somewhere.  We are thinking ribs, pork, chicken, and brisket, all smoked.  I'd like to have a baked potato bar too.  As far as I know, none of our guests are vegetarian and they all love his cooking but, I'd like an option just in case. 

We are in the process of scouting out helpers to get the food out.  I am going to contact the coordinator of the Granger Community Center (where we are doing both ceremony and reception, it's a remodeled former church so I still get the sanctuary feel and it's big enough to accomadate my guest list of under 200 in attendance) to see if she has contact info for the women's group.  I know that the Granger Women's Group donated a lot of kitchen items for the Community Center as a Christmas gift, so they are active and supportive of the center.

I also need to inquire about insurance if we go this route.   

My back up plan is Hickory Park out of Ames.  They are next in line to my favorite BBQ.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure where you're at but We're having Country Catering out of Peoria, IA (Southeast area, near Pella) http://countrycateringonline.com/
    I'm not sure how far they go but we've always enjoyed their food. They're pretty reasonable too!
  • McsweetsMcsweets member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the tips!!!  We are going in circles trying to find something affordable.  $20/plate is just too much :(
  • mrs.holttobemrs.holttobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are using Hickory Park and they are very reasonably priced.

• edited December 2011
    I've heard someone talk about the Lidderdale country store. They are out of carroll. They charge something like 9 dollars a plate. I don't know what their food tastes like though. I need to get down to iowa and go try their food.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards