Favors

wedding favor donation

I' ve decided instead of doing traditional favors I would make a do to unicef to help the people of Haiti on behalf of my guest. I feel that this would be more benefitual and better than giving trinkets that will be thrown in a drawer some where. It would also be my way of helping those in need since so many helped my city as well as myself during Katrina.What do you guys think? 

Re: wedding favor donation

• edited December 2011
    Here's what I honestly think........

Favors are not necessary nor are they expected. 

If you want to make a donation for Haiti, go ahead and do it.  You don't need to wait until your wedding.  Many, if not most, of your guests will have already donated themselves by the time they get to your reception.

I'm never in favor of making donations and then telling your guests you did it in their name.  First, it makes you sound very AW and second, most people want to choose if, when, and to whom they make charitable donations.
  • edited December 2011
    I think that any time a donation is made, it's a good thing :) Particularly if the cause is something important to you. There is no doubt that Haiti will need aid and help rebuilding for years to come, so even if your wedding is in a year or more away, guests should still appreciate the gesture.

Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thinks ladies...@MOBinFLA.. I actually already donated through my cell phone company, but wanted tto do more and to avoid buying trinkets I decided on this, I fgure the more the merrier.

@leyne...I was thinking the same thing.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NAJ~MOB is not saying that you shouldn't make a donation.  You should if you want to.  And then you should donate again if you want to.  Just don't call it a "favor" for your guests.

Your guests won't miss a trinket.  But donating to a charity, while very, very worthy is NOT a gesture of thanks to your guests.  And that's what a favor it-a gesture of thanks to your guests.

As another knottie said,  you don't tell people what you're not giving them, and that's what a notice saying you're NOT giving a favor because you're donating to charity is.

Here's my take.  Make your donation.  And skip the favors.  But there isn't any need AT ALL to tell people that you made a donation. 

Giving money to YOUR favorite chairty, however worthy is not a gift to me.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I TOTALLY second Trix.  Even if it is important to you, it's NOT a favor!!!!
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally believe in donating to charity, I really do. However, I believe in donating to charities that I personally believe in.

While Haiti is a worthy cause (And I have donated to it myself), there are actually quite a few people in America that are pretty ticked about the fact that we have starving children and homeless people of our own that are pretty much being left to rot while Haiti is being given millions of dollars. If one of your guests is in this boat, there's a very good chance they're not going to be happy being given a little card saying that you made a donation in their name to a cause they don't believe in.

And this doesn't just apply to Haiti. There are causes out there that some people just do not care about or are strongly opposed to. Some people don't care either way about donation favors, but some people get really upset to find out that money was given to a charity they hate in their name.

Also, again, I believe in donating to charity ... but I believe that if your heart is truly in the right place, you don't need to draw attention to your "good deed".

Bottom line: if you want to donate say $500 to any charity, just do it and skip the favors. Don't point out to your guests that you did it "in lieu of favors", just skip the favors and don't mention it at all.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • HeatherQ531HeatherQ531 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think it is a good idea.

We will be making a donation to Autism Speaks and they send cards stating a donation has been made. My younger son has autism so it is a charity that has deep meaning to not only us but to all of our friends and family. Also, how many people actually take home and KEEP the little tins/matchbooks/picture frames/doo-dads anyhow?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So I had the invite ticker here but lost count and didn't feel like fixing it.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Again, Heather.  No one is saying not to donate to Autism Speaks.  It is an incredible organization that is doing amazing things for the autism community.

What everyone seems to be missing here is that we WANT you to make donations, if you want to.  Just don't pretend that it is somehow a favor or gift to your guests.  It's not.  Autism is deeply meaningful to you.  Donating to an organization that will help your son is very meaningful to you.  I get that.  I respect that.

My DIL has juvenile diabetes.  We support causes that address diabetes.  If I were to pretend that my donation to a charity that supports diabetes were somehow a gift to you, would you be honored?  No, probably not.  It's a lovely gesture, but I'm sure you'd prefer that the donation in your honor be made to Autism Speaks.

Make the donation.  Don't worry about giving out the little knick-knacks that nobody wants.  (I agree with you on that.)  Just SKIP favors altogether.  Make the donation from the two of you in honor of beginning your life together.  Just don't call it something that it's not:  a gift to your guests.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I second Trix!!

I've had this done to me numerous times for various occasions ("I donated a goat to a village in your name for Xmas", "I donated to Katrina in your name for blah", etc) and I think it's a huge cop-out.

No one expects a favor at a wedding. It is a gift that you can choose or choose not to give. 
    Do not give one if you'd rather spend the money on a good cause and not useless crap (which I completely agree with as an idea, Americans spend way too much money on frivolities while there are people out there dying of hunger!).

But "giving in the name of" is pretentious. It will make you look like you are making a donation to make yourself look good and not because you truly care.

I say -- donate the money (which you already have!) but don't brag about it -- just know it's good karma and you are a good person :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Katy,

I have a different take than some of the other posts.  We will also be doing a similiar gesture at our wedding reception.  Both of us have very strong ties to the two charities we will be dontaing to; St Judes for his young cousin, and The American Heart Association for my father.  We will use seating card frames (yes, a small favor), and then annotate at the bottom by simply saying something like 'A donation has also been made to ...' I can't imagine any guest being offended by such a thoughtful gesture, but if they were, would you really care?  This wedding should reflect YOUR style, and its for charity!  And, its a wonderful idea that will be long remembered by your guests.  Good luck!  Laughing
  • kmg977kmg977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with sriewaldt.  Just bc you let it known that you made a charity does NOT mean you tryin to make yourself look good, or tryin make it seem like a cop out for not giving a favor. However I agree that you shouldn't say You made a favor in behalf of your guests, cause that may not be a charity they support. Just say We chose instead of having a favor to give a donation to blah blah blah charity.  It shows something you are passionate about, and there is nothing wrong with letting something you deeply care about show. That money you would have spent on favors, went to a better cause, if you want to let guests know that, then you should, because good for you for helping out those in need!

• edited December 2011
    If you told me you donated to Haiti in my favor, I'd be pretty upset- I don't think we should be giving them money when we're so screwed up right now. Donate on your own if you want to, but it's not a gift to your guests for attending your wedding. There are charities I support that you might not. If you don't want to give them a trinket, give them something edible. We're giving our guests cookies that I'm making my self.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards