Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

When did you try on dresses?

When did you guys start trying on dresses? I can't wait to go but I'm trying to wait closer to the 1 year mark - I have one a absolutely LOVE and can't wait to try but wondering what you guys did? TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When did you try on dresses?

• Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been trying dresses on for a while now...I don't plan to buy until the year mark or after.

I think I went to DB to just play back in October. And then Bridal Beginnings in February. Maybe I'll decide on a dress at some point...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I started trying on dresses at the year mark and bought it about 10 1/2 months before. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a weirdo and bought my dress 18 months out.

BUT it was a sample on sale, so it was sorta a now or never opportunity, and I loved it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went a week before my year mark and bought my dress. I loved the dress, and it was part of a traveling trunk show so I would never see it again. Go when you want to go. Don't worry about it being too early.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmm... I went almost immediately! haha!  I ended up purchasing it in late December of '09, but changed the order last summer :)
  • Options
    MRadsMRads member
    edited December 2011
    I went in November, so about 10 months out.  It was a sample sale...I wasn't going to go until January or February, but I couldn't pass up a sample sale.  I tried on five dresses and walked out with one. 

Then again, I've been worried my entire engagement that I'm doing things too early and being ridiculous, but now I really gotta get my butt in gear.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Options
    dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    edited December 2011
    I went a little over a year out and took my dress home with me that day! 

• Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm abnormal, I waited until a little more than 6 months out.  Tried them on in one day, ordered the first dress I tried on.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I tried dresses on 9 months out, and ordered 6 months... however, I ordered too late and had to do a rush on mine. :(
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I asked my bridal shop if I went in for dresses too earlier, and they told me that at the latest it's best to order a gown 9 months before so you can avoid the rush fee. However, if you buy a sample you don't have to worry about ordering.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We ordered my dress two weeks ago (14 months out almost to the day). I was shopping for it with family in my hometown and wasn't sure when I'd have a dedicated week to go down there again before say next Christmas (which would be too late).

But, I think as long as you're ready to pull the trigger (recognizing that a lot of bridal salons won't give you a refund once the dress is ordered and you'll lose at least a deposit - in my case 50% of the cost of the dress - if you change your mind), you should feel free to go shopping whenever! 
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • Options
    dalecnardalecnar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tried on dresses for the first time in February which was about 8 months before my October wedding.  It took a few but the fifth dress was the one I loved and ordered.  I can't wait to wear it!!
    PGH June Siggy-Favorite Summer Activity-KennywoodWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone - I feel like I need to hang tight until May. I'm afraid I'd have second thoughts, etc. But now I know not to wait past summer!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The key is to stop looking when you do find it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I looked and bought mine a year and several weeks out (Labor Day wkend) but we didn't actually have our date set at that time.  I was just so excited to go and fell in love with the 4th dress I tried so we bought it that day.  It actually just came in this week but I won't be home until next weekend to go see it.  If you're nervous about actually going to look too soon, you can spend a lot of time compiling pictures online or in magazines that you really like.  This was very helpful for my appointment!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I started trying dresses on immediately.  I found one that I loved about a year and a half ahead of time and ordered it.  It took a good 8 months to come in.  Bridal Beginnings said they would hold it at the shop until my last fitting.  I was afraid if I waited, then the dress I loved would be discontinued or that the price would go up.  I stopped looking after I purchased it.  Even when I've seen other dresses, I have never found one I loved as much as the one I purchased.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    katie88fkatie88f member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am going to start looking about 13 months out.  However, I have spent countless hours looking at dresses online.  I feel like I have a pretty good idea of the type of dress I want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I tried on and actually ordered mine right around a year out.  The bridal shop said it usually took 6 months to get in...but my dress came in a little less than a month.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    5 months before - and yes, it was ordered
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    MrsDydekMrsDydek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Typically you should order your dress at least 6 months in advance, and usually I've heard a year. And as far as I'm considered you should spend as much time as possible dress shoping until you've found the one, just because it can be the most fun part of planning your day.

That being said, my wedding is August 2012, he proposed on Dec 1, 2010. I made an appointment to try on dresses that weekend. I found and bought my dress in January. 
    I just didn't see the point in waiting..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought mine last monday,so about 17 months before my wedding. Althought I dont really have a date set. Yes my profile says june 30th 2012, but I dont have a venue yet.  Already stressing about that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards